• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103
Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamtnman

Hunt to Live
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Jim Spray’s brass spout arrived today, to be matched to my first flat horn. Got the horn yesterday from Roland Cadle at the 18th Century Artisans Faire in Carlisle. Also picked up a ball bag. All are destined for the planned .62 flintlock British sporting rifle. Ran out of time yesterday to pick out a new possibles bag. Saw a lot of beautiful bags that are too small. And no, I can’t imagine putting less in the bag.

Attachments

• 51FB1435-3459-473B-941A-8D5135FDC482.jpeg
    51FB1435-3459-473B-941A-8D5135FDC482.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 4
Very nice horn, mostly white like that can be hard to find. Where did you find the spout? I like that style but everywhere seems to be out of stock.

Could you post a link for Mr. Spray?
Thanks
jim is reachable on the ALR site, and he just opened an account here as james s. he is in his 'second professional phase' of life, and took on the horn spout as a challenge. he has made half a dozen so far, i think, maybe more. they are 2" long and 3/4" diameter at the mouth. might be small for a lot of people's projects, but this will fit my flat horn project perfectly. it is flawless work.

Very nice horn, mostly white like that can be hard to find. Where did you find the spout? I like that style but everywhere seems to be out of stock.
hey boom, i just posted the two ways to reach jim spray, on the ALR site and on this one. i agree with you about how clear white this horn is. Roland Cadle always has a huge pile of cored and scraped horns at every black powder event. people root through those piles until they find what they want. Roland pulled this one out for me, for the flat horn project. he also gave me a lot of useful tips on how to make it. between his advice, an article on making flat horns in one of my old buckskinning books, and what i can find online, i should be able to make this happen. a flat horn this white would be perfect for engraving or scrimshawing

Did he recommend using hot oil, water or a heat gun to soften the horn? I've heard all suggested, but for what you're doing -overcoming the horn's memory/shape has to be good.

Did he recommend using hot oil, water or a heat gun to soften the horn? I've heard all suggested, but for what you're doing -overcoming the horn's memory/shape has to be good.
Roland said to boil it in lard in a deep fryer. not vegetable oil. or use dry heat like a gas or electric burner, wearing heavy gloves and preventing it from scorching. yt videos show people using propane torches, but their horns all get scorched. according to Roland, scorching eliminates the horn's natural elasticity, which increases the likelihood of failure later on. have to fit a wood form in, and put something soft over the vise jaws so the metal imprint isn't left on the horn. looking at 'buckskinning book vi' there is a helpful article about making flat horns. sum of all my knowledge right here!

Roland said to boil it in lard in a deep fryer. not vegetable oil. or use dry heat like a gas or electric burner, wearing heavy gloves and preventing it from scorching. yt videos show people using propane torches, but their horns all get scorched. according to Roland, scorching eliminates the horn's natural elasticity, which increases the likelihood of failure later on. have to fit a wood form in, and put something soft over the vise jaws so the metal imprint isn't left on the horn. looking at 'buckskinning book vi' there is a helpful article about making flat horns. sum of all my knowledge right here!
How about pressing it between two boards with a couple of boards?

I’m trying to flatten out a horn into a sheet. I want to try making a spoon.

Go to U Tube and do a serach, there is excellent information there.

If you look a the Dec 2022 issue of Muzzle Blasts there is an article on how to make a flat horn.

Last edited:
All excellent advice from my old friend and trading partner. He is a modern pioneer in horn work. I have known him from when he lived in Green County and we were members of Cresap's Rifle Company (BAR) during the Bicentennial. I gratefully have half a dozen of his powderhorns and a hunting pouch.

How about pressing it between two boards with a couple of boards?

I’m trying to flatten out a horn into a sheet. I want to try making a spoon.
You need to, of course , cut off the tip. Then cut down one (or both) sides heat to about 330 degrees F and press between two boards using clamps or a vise. Cut the horn in to a flat blank. Then you can reheat and place in a spoon mold. This can be made from two hinged (at the end) boards carved out in the shape of the spoon with a lead or pewter convex bowl shape attached to the flat board.
I think there is a You tube video by Townsends on this.

Back