Flat face breech brushes

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

BullRunBear

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
When you get a chance, I would like to learn how you made them. They look darn useful.

Jeff

Kansas Kid

32 Cal.
Reaction score
When you get a chance, I would like to learn how you made them. They look darn useful.

Jeff
Started off with 1” dia Navel Brass turned to whatever dia you want then drill thru for tap drill size for a Stainless Steel screw then drill about 3/8 deep for the bristles then tap for thread and part off. Lock tite screw inserted inside of body. Buy a brush with the type of bristles you like and cut to length and epoxy them in.

Don Steele

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Thanks for your post. If you are planning to offer brushes for sale, I hope you get a LOT of orders.
I only know of one other individual offering brushes of that style for cleaning the breechface of our rifles so there's not a whole lot of competition for the market. A buddy gave me one of his a few years ago and I've found it to be an incredibly effective part of my cleaning process.

Kansas Kid

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Thanks for your post. If you are planning to offer brushes for sale, I hope you get a LOT of orders.
I only know of one other individual offering brushes of that style for cleaning the breechface of our rifles so there's not a whole lot of competition for the market. A buddy gave me one of his a few years ago and I've found it to be an incredibly effective part of my cleaning process.
Thanks, I’m considering it. I have been using a similar generic small brush along with my barrel washer made from a small bug sprayer. Only need two or three wiping patches and bore / breech face are spotless.

Kansas Kid

32 Cal.
Reaction score
L I B !
M R pur-T Good!

I'm gonna tray modern brass casing with the primer hole drilled, and instead of tapping the brass, just JB weld in the screw, plus the bristles.

LD
That’s another thought. I made another @ .37 using a brass ramrod tip that came out real nice.

nhmoose

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I remember when TOW sold them in 8/32 and 10/32 threads. Looked and not any more I am glad I still have 8-9 each of them. I will have to remember to keep better care of them now as they were expendable.

NorthFork

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I remember when TOW sold them in 8/32 and 10/32 threads. Looked and not any more I am glad I still have 8-9 each of them. I will have to remember to keep better care of them now as they were expendable.
I believe Dixie and Log Cabin Shop still sell them.

EC121

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Muzzleloader Builders Supply also sells them. They work as long as you clean them after use or the metal will corrode away. They also work well for turning a patch against the breech face. I buy two or three at a time.

MSW

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Great idea! Thanks for the post :)