• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flask Parts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have had this flask for years and had hopes that I would find one in even worse condition that I could rob parts from. It appears to have had a pretty hard life but to me all its faults are character. There is no name on it. Does anyone have or know of parts that might work with this? Even if the fitting is only close, I'm pretty sure I can make them work and not make it look cobbled together.
All this talk about flasks lately has given me a renewed hope, a long shot I'm sure but still hope.
IMG_0377.jpeg

IMG_0378.jpeg

Robby

I don't have one, or the parts for it but your flask is the style Ray Riling classifies as a "Shell and Bush" design. A very similar flask is shown on page 290 in his book, "THE POWDER FLASK BOOK". It is number 362 and the primary difference is, the flask in the book doesn't have the loops to attach a lanyard.

It seems this and similar designs became popular around the middle of the 1800's. They were produced by Dixon, Hawksley (Both British companies) and the American Flask & Cap Company.

Out of curiosity, What's missing?
If it is the spring have you compared a repro with what's needed? You could probably make one.
If it is the external part of the nozzle then if you use a separate powder measure it doesn't matter.
If it is the small screw that allows the measurements on the adjustable nozzle, I could not verify what it was and ended up using a 2mm screw.

I have tried a reproduction measure but the diameter of the thread column is different. I have also tried an original just to see if it might be a standard for these old flasks, the first two or three threads seem to engage fine then binds up with about an eighth of an inch to go. Very close, but no cigar, as they say.
My other original is too nice to sacrifice parts from or experiment on.
Thank you Zonie!!!
Robby

Your flask is in the "DOG AND HUNTER" section of the POWDER FLASK BOOK.
It is # 925. The author says of it:

"... 925 shows a scarce unmarked flask of copper. The decoration of a dog and stump and high vine in background is not as frequently found as the usual similar decoration shown on specimens 935 and 936 ..."

Your flask seems to be made from brass but, it is the same scene with a similar spout and lanyard rings.

I'm not sure Zonie's, It looks kind of coppery under the hard gloss patina and a couple high spots on the embossment really do look coppery, I'll give it another look. Thank you for the information!!!!!
Robby

So it is the measure that is missing.
This seems a common problem.
All I can think of is get someone to machine up an adaptor to use the Italian spouts.
You would need to measure the thread size and pitch to determine what it is.

Sorry can't help you.

Last edited:
Your flask is in the "DOG AND HUNTER" section of the POWDER FLASK BOOK.
It is # 925. The author says of it:

"... 925 shows a scarce unmarked flask of copper. The decoration of a dog and stump and high vine in background is not as frequently found as the usual similar decoration shown on specimens 935 and 936 ..."

Your flask seems to be made from brass but, it is the same scene with a similar spout and lanyard rings.
Zonie
May I ask a favour please?
Does this one show up in your book?
20200622_202844 (2).jpg
Sorry Robby, Not trying to hijack your thread

The Dog flask looks like a common top hard to see but its of Sheffield form if the Shell flask has a circular grouve its been a double shutter flash proof patent. standard threads are unlikely. There where Indian made flasks & tops reproduced in recent years I have a couple I can measure the inside dimensions so you might pick one up. Dixons made new flasks from their old dies in recent years but there out of business now and they sold tops & chargers & springs as a rule flasks sold in the UK didn't have rings as the flask was carried in a pocket usually, While export flasks often did have rings since wearing then like a horn was more common .Over here (NZ) I wear mine charger down wards being dryer & no likely hood of any spark .Hope you find your needed parts .
Rudyard

Zonie
May I ask a favour please?
Does this one show up in your book?
View attachment 50956
Sorry Robby, Not trying to hijack your thread
Your flask shows up under the "PANEL" area. It is similar to flask # 535 (page 307), without the lanyard rings shown on that flask.
On page 303, the author says, "Flask Figure 535 shows a scarce Dixon Flask of geometrical motif."

If a person were to put up one of these flasks as a wallhanger what sort of strap would he use? Leather strap? Woven? Wide? Thin?

Flask "straps" we're usually made from woven or braided cord, commonly green in color. Typically the cord would run through the ring and be secured by a frayed knot below the ring rather than tying it to the ring.

Your flask shows up under the "PANEL" area. It is similar to flask # 535 (page 307), without the lanyard rings shown on that flask.
On page 303, the author says, "Flask Figure 535 shows a scarce Dixon Flask of geometrical motif."
mabie it was carried in a vest or hunting bag, that is why it has no lanyard ringes?

Flask "straps" we're usually made from woven or braided cord, commonly green in color. Typically the cord would run through the ring and be secured by a frayed knot below the ring rather than tying it to the ring.
Any special reason for the color green?

I cannot see the mechanism. My flask that is like yours has a regular mechanism. All the parts are simple to make. The spring on mine is a replacement I made. The other falsk I a Sykes mechanism. That was harder to make. Ray Riling's Powder Flask book has details. Mine had no mechanism. The parts were more difficult to make.
DSCN9621.JPG
DSCN9622.JPG
DSCN9620.JPG

Flask straps were more common on the Continental flask than the British flasks
Feltwad
100_2405.JPG

Back