• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flash rust experiment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just took a piece of cold rolled steel, the shiny kind without the scale from hot rolling. It is absolutely not stainless. ( There were some rust spots) . I sanded it clean and then degreased with lacquer thinner. Then I poured boiling water on it and waited. The only thing that occured was that the metal strip dried very quickly. I can't see any rust or rub anything off. My conclusion is that it is fine to pour hot water down my barrels. Of course, yours may be different. Just saying, not trying to start a war or anything.

My question would be, is your steel tested and barrel steel the same?

All steel is not the same, I quit hot water after flash rusting. I see no reason for hot water in cleaning.

I too found no need to use hot water to clean my BP guns. I use straight tap water (from my well) as it comes from the tap. Never had any problems so far. (35 years)

I use warm just for comfort as I do it outside and always get my hands somewhat wet

My question would be, is your steel tested and barrel steel the same?

All steel is not the same, I quit hot water after flash rusting. I see no reason for hot water in cleaning.
Good point about the many different types of steel. The one I used is just common, ordinary cold rolled, not free turning or high tensile. I have no idea how the different, non stainless, steels resist corrosion. This little test was just to try and satisfy my own curiosity and not at all scientific.

After cleaning my T/C Hawken-style rifle barrel with room temp water, and a little Dawn detergent...I've been pouring a cup of boiling water down the bore for 44 yrs. Never had any problems. The bore remains slick and shiny to this day. I like the way everything dries instantly. My procedure is to IMMEDIATELY followup with Ballistol saturated patches after the boiling water has run through. I don't pour the water, and set the barrel down to dry. That might cause a problem, but the way I do it...I've never seen this "flash rust" folks talk about.

I think if you ask 10 muzzle loaders how they clean their guns you will get 15 different answers.

I have a big pot and several old bath and wash towels dedicated to the chore. Fill halfway with water and a splash of dish soap, and onto the stove. While things are heating up the barrel comes off the stock and the nipple comes off the barrel and into the pot. When the pot reaches a rolling boil, off the stove and into the sink. Lay down a towel to keep things from banging around. Breech plug end of the barrel into the pot and with a tight patch draw the hot water in and out until the barrel is too hot to touch. Be sure to include the muzzle end. Out of the pot and on to the bath towel, run repeated dry patches until they come out dry, last couple wadded up and shoved in with the patch puller to get down into the powder chamber, then finish with a couple of passes with light TC Bore Butter on the patch. Moisten a corner of a towel and wipe down the hammer and lock. Wipe the nipple clean. Blow through it and hold up to a light to visually confirm it is clear. Put just a scant touch of the bore butter on the nipples threads only, being careful not to get any on the bottom. Reassemble, wipe down with the bore butter patch and back in to the gun safe.

On the next use it is ready to load as is.

Just my 2 cents.

Back