• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flash, no bang

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Yesterday was a bit frustrating at the firing line. With aggravating frequency my pan would flash but no ignition of the powder charge. On a couple of occasions I resorted to pushing powder into the liner hole with my pick to make the charge ignite. The last time I went shooting was about 4 weeks ago and nothing has changed since then. At that time the flash and firing was almost simultaneous, as always with this rifle. This time, same powder, same loading procedure and frequent misfires and slightest of delays before firing. Blue skies, sunshine, low (for here) humidity. I'm at a loss as to why I had such problems. Suggestions?

Just speculation based on info provided. Possibly oil residue left in bore from last cleaning session. Once oil has been cooked up with powder you have a tar like goo plugging fire channel. Again, speculation.

What type of breech/touch hole setup do you have? Chambered breech like a TC or Lyman? Or straight into main bore?

Have you tried "bumping" the stock to settle the powder near the touch hole? Sometimes a "crud" ring develops at the top of the powder charge that can cause the next charge of powder to "bridge" in the area of the crud ring. bumping usually helps to settle the powder. Use alcohol on a patch to swab the bore to remove any ring that may have formed.

After cleaning your rifle and applying the rust inhibiting lubricant for storage, do you store the rifle with the muzzle down? The liquid oils need to flow out of the breech area and touch hole. Oils will evaporate and leave a thick residue that will catch fouling and block the flash channel. Before going to the range wipe the bore with an alcohol soaked patch to clean up the oil residue and use one of those tiny flossing brushes to wipe through the touch hole. If there is a failure to fire or delay, then something is blocking the flash channel.

Always a good idea to wipe the bore and vent liner hole prior to shooting. Also, is the touch hole at least 1/16"?

My vote is for the oil residue in the bore/flash channel. It does not take much to mix with the powder fouling and make a goo that clogs the works up. Happened to me last year. After trying all the same things you mentioned I poured a little water down the barrel followed by a tight fitting patched jag. Pushed an inch long worm of goo out the touch hole that was similar to axle grease.

I ran a wipe down the bore prior to shooting and no oils were observed on the cloth. Since I am working through Dutch's shooting program, I am swabbing with Ballistol between shots. I'm using 3F black powder, same powder as I've used all along.

Culprit has to be blockage of fire to main charge. Is your touch hole removable?

If so, I would remove and inspect thoroughly ... to discover what the blockage is. Pretty simple system ... heat n fire in the pan transfers into the main charge through the touch hole and BOOM.

Also has your powder possibly been contaminated?

No chance of contamination. This is a unique event with this rifle as it has always been so easy to produce ignition. Normally I only fill the pan about 1/4 and concentrate against the touch hole producing near instantaneous ignition up to now. Just wondering what might have happened.

I am working through Dutch's shooting program, I am swabbing with Ballistol between shots.
Haven’t read Dutch’s writings lately, but as I remember, he suggests using some type of moose milk for swabbing, not anything like straight Ballistol. As a reference, my moose milk is mostly distilled water (at less than $1 a gallon, why not). I use a 20:1:1 mix of water, Ballistol and Murphys. Not saying it’s perfection, just what I use.

I ran a wipe down the bore prior to shooting and no oils were observed on the cloth. Since I am working through Dutch's shooting program, I am swabbing with Ballistol between shots. I'm using 3F black powder, same powder as I've used all along.
Ballistol was the culprit with my incident. I now use ballistol solely for the outside of the rifle. The issue is not oil or Ballistol in the bore, it is in the flash channel. I believe it is the nature of Ballistol to disperse in water that causes this issue. Even in low humidity, a by product of the powder combustion is water vapor.

FWIW - When I started shooting line matches on a regular basis, I too used to run a damp patch down the bore after each shot. After the first relay, the trouble would start. Same as you, flash and no bang. Out of frustration I decided to see what would happen if I stopped wiping after every shot. All my ignition problems instantly went away. I routinely shoot entire matches without a single flash in the pan.

Stop swabbing so frequently. No need to. I swab about every 4 or 5 shots depending upon whether it starts to get difficult to load. I use an alcohol and Murphy's oil soap cleaner that dries quickly.

Back