• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flash melt, wads, and bore butter?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't hemp oil kind of pricey?
Yes, that's why I'm not letting it go to waste. Bless the Mrs. she thought it might help with my aches and pains. At 591 drops per ounce the 8 oz bottle works out to 4,728 shots for $35 using one drop per chamber. Granted wetting a patch for the Whitworth bore uses more. Would I buy it just to use as a lube? For now I don't know but I'll know when I'm done with the half bottle I have left.

I don't know as much as I did 30 years ago, when I knew it all. But flash melt? The guy was either yanking your chain or delusional.
Jay

Anyone over 70 can experience flash melt with a hard enough sneeze. I’ve not heard of it w/percussion revolvers loaded in any fashion.

"So a local shop has me confused again. Is flash melt a real thing or was he just trying to sell me wads?"

After thinking a bit, the above is really scary.

You do not know if the person was just attempting to make a sale or if the person is just plain uneducated in the world of black powder shooting and it's guns.

Neighbors' step son came by to visit since he heard I shoot black powder and it was kind of unsettling listening to him talk about black powder shooting. Most of his knowledge has come from U-tube. Anyone can post on U-tube even if they have limited knowledge about the subject matter. Unfortunately, foks accept what they see and hear there as factual.

I do not know how many times I have heard of folks going to Cabalas or Bass Pro and being sold modern powder for black powder guns and numerous guns being ruined.,

Just my thoughts and concerns.

fdf

Metallurgical y speaking the expanding gasses from BP are hot enough to melt the lead,and as it rushes past the ball it could strip some lead off it. But short of an all out extended skirmish it wouldn't be enough to cause any issues. You get more lead sheared off by the leading edge of the rifling before the ball gets to full spin.
Being said unless you have a completely air tight seal at the wad the hot gases will still go past the ball and atomize lead. Patching still isn't gas tight but the tiny particles are more likely to deposit on the patch fringe than the barrel.

As I said though this is a TINY amount of atomized lead and shooting bare balls all day long you might notice a little build up if you scoped the bore with a good camera. And the humidity would have a greater effect on you accuracy.

Jojoba oil from a plant if it is esterified is very close to the protected, illegal to buy sperm whale oil. I hoard my old grandfathered source. Crisco has a hydrogenated or trans fat form and now a healthier non trans fat form like Spectrum. Not stiff enough without beeswax. Makes a mess when shot just as Crisco over ball and melts in hot weather. Never got as good accuracy with lube over ball than with lubed felt wads over powder. I don't leave lubed wads in cylinder for long time as it can dampen powder. Learned this when using it was a grouse gun while hunting with rifle for bigger game.

Latest posts

Back