• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flash guard.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mzzlldrinpa

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking to put a flash guard on. Any ideas other than the ones you can purchase on all the websites? Just want something different from all the rest. Thanks for any help.

Hi,
Do you need to meet National Park Service guidelines for this (shield must contact the pan or lock plate at 2 points so it cannot accidentally drop down)?

dave

What kind of lock do you have? If it is a common double bridle lock, you can make one yourself without too much difficulty as long as you have a vise and some brass or wood vise jaws for the vise. You just need to cut and bend the brass shim stock and drill one hole through it for frizzen screw.

Gus

Depends a lot on the lock. My first longrifle was a Traditions and the screw holding the pan on came from the inside. So no screw to attach the flash guard. Got in touch with Mike Lea and got the kit from him that has a longer screw to replace the inside one, the flash guard to go over it and a nut to go on the longer screw. He would put it all together if you send him the lock and he would chase the threads so the screw fit properly (Traditions used two different threads on the same rifle). I just had him send me the parts kit and I chased the threads myself.

My Early Lancaster rifle on the other hand uses an L&R Queen Anne lock. Flash guard for it was less expensive and easy to put on. Also got that from Mike.

Really depends upon what lock you have though. If it's something hard to find, then Mike Lea and his daughter (taking over for Mike) are the place to go. They are great to work with.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:
Dan

Yes, it depends a lot on the lock and that's why I asked the OP what kind of lock he has.

Another kind of lock that requires something extra is a single bridle lock. There is a different way to mount a flash guard on that kind of lock. It may require turning the head of the screw back so as to make room to put a flash guard on, or it may also need a different frizzen screw.

Gus

Actually Gus and friends, for the unbridled lock AND for the locks which have frizzen screws that are applied to the lock from the inside of the lock plate...,

A lot of suppliers are carrying rifle flash guards that have a long "tab" extending from where the older versions attached to the frizzen screw, on down to the new screw hole, and this tab is then attached to the Frizzen Spring Screw, as well as having a small tab that rests on the pan-fence, so complies with the flash guard requirments, but one doesn't need to modify any lock parts.

LD

MzzlldrinPA said:
I am looking to put a flash guard on.
Why?
Is it a requirement where you shoot or something you feel you need to do? If not necessary, leave it alone...

Nothing required. Just looking to shoot safely and not worry about burning anyone. Sprays pretty good, just don't want to have worry about as much when standing on the firing line. It is going on a Davis french fusil lock on a Tulle.

Hi,
If you are not doing reenactments where a flash guard is required, I would not install one. If your gun really sprays flame, perhaps the touch hole is too large. Consider installing a liner.

dave

FYI, I installed a flash guard on my Bess Carbine. The touch hole is somewhere between 1/16" and 1/8" so it blasts pretty good. I also had a linen carrying strap attached to the Bess. We were on a woodswalk and I started smelling smoke. Turned out my strap had caught fire from the sparks. Took quite a bit of water to put it out. Now I have a leather strap on the Bess.

Item #2. I wear glasses. Today you can't get real glass lenses all you can get is polycarbonate. Guess what happens to plastic lenses when I shoot that Bess with a flash guard.

I finally took the flashguard off because I don't do military any more. I just warn people up to 12 feet away to beware the blast.

Thanks for all the input. I'm really leaning towards doing nothing. I always make sure to leave a lot of room next to me and wait quite a bit. And yes my safety glasses are all spotted as well. Y'all saved me some work. Guess I'll spend that time shooting it instead of working on it.

If you decide to add one here is what you need. My lock may look a little different than yours. I did some modifications to make it look more like the originals. Nice thing is you can easily remove the guard by taking the outside nut off.The guard shown is another alternative that you can make yourself.
64c6593a-0c06-4ae7-bb46-f3bb6b221f27_zps5am6jhqu.jpg

Dave Person said:
Hi,
If you are not doing reenactments where a flash guard is required, I would not install one. If your gun really sprays flame, perhaps the touch hole is too large. Consider installing a liner.

dave

Why would you say that?
There really is no downside to having a flash guard. Some clubs require them and they always are an extra measure of safety. I use one and it interferes with use of the gun not at all.

Rifleman1776 said:
Dave Person said:
Hi,

dave

Why would you say that?
There really is no downside to having a flash guard. Some clubs require them and they always are an extra measure of safety. I use one and it interferes with use of the gun not at all.

I have found that a gun with flash guard is much more apt to blow particles on my face. They also foul the lock side much worse.

Hi,
Yes, that is exactly my experience as well. You also should remove it when cleaning the gun after shooting or at least tip it up out of the way of the pan. I've repaired many reenactors guns on which the pan, touch hole, barrel breeches, and pan cover were badly corroded because of the flash guard and poor maintenance.

dave

That's one of the things I don't like about most guards. They tend to be like a funnel for debris. I'm ok cleaning it real well, that's all part of the fun. Just don't like most of them. I have seen people drill and tap the bottom of the pan to add one that comes up slightly. Thanks for the pictures. Always helpful.

Dave Person said:
Hi,

dave
....or consider using less powder in the pan. Really....it's like the old Brylcreem ads used to say "A little dab'll do ya." :2

Back