• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flash Cups

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Lyman GPR has a "snail" breech which more or less does the function of a flash cup. I have found flash cups of slight benefit for use on drum and nipple set ups to protect the top of the barrel. Mostly I find it directs the flash and spray away from my face on a rifle with a drum.

Also do they keep the top of the barrel , lock, and stock clean. Any thoughts?

I wipe the barrel (inside) between shots, I also take a cleaning patch and just give the lock area a quick wipe between shots.

Probably redundant on a GPR since the patent breech pretty well serves that function. I've been shooting one GPR for over forty years and never had any problem with too much residue or erosion of the wood.

I did put one on a small 36 kid gun with a drum to protect the wood.

Like others here - depends on the gun.
I have one on my 60 years old curly maple stocked 45 and it does make a big difference in keeping the breech area a lot cleaner. It's a drum and nipple.
One thing I have noted, it also make a huge difference in how the cup is oriented.
I turn mine so the low side of the flash cup is pointed away and slightly forward which seems to help direct the cap blast out and away from the gun.
On my Thompsons and Lyman Great Plains I stopped using them, the snail does a good job of deflecting the blast.

I bought one of these to try on my Lyman GPR. I should have ask this forum if there was any reason not to put one on. Also do they keep the top of the barrel , lock, and stock clean. Any thoughts?
I had to look that up, never heard of one before.
Guess I'd use one to keep the nipple from gnawing at the stitches if my lock had surgery................

I bought one of these to try on my Lyman GPR. I should have ask this forum if there was any reason not to put one on. Also do they keep the top of the barrel , lock, and stock clean. Any thoughts?
They do keep the top of the barrel and the lock clean but, they also make putting the cap on the nipple more difficult to do.

If you install your flash cup, be prepared to file some areas of it away. On some guns, the hammer can interfere with it and if this happens, misfires will happen.

A long time ago, I installed several of them onto some of my rifles. After using them for a while I came to the conclusion that messing with installing the caps on the nipple was more bother than cleaning up some powder fouling that was on the barrel when I was done shooting.

The Lyman GPR has a "snail" breech which more or less does the function of a flash cup. I have found flash cups of slight benefit for use on drum and nipple set ups to protect the top of the barrel. Mostly I find it directs the flash and spray away from my face on a rifle with a drum.

What he said :thumb:

I use to have them and yeas they do make it cleaner in a way but, it still needs cleaning and it's harder to clean around the cup. More difficult to remove the nipple when you clean and it tends to blow (direct)junk in your face more.

I have never used one, they are ugly and distract from the beauty of the gun. stand up on two feet and shoot like a man. JMHO.

I'm a lefty shooting right handed cap locks and use them to help keep the cap flash from hitting my right wrist during a shoot. A piece of towel wrapped around my wrist does the same thing. Not saying I'm found of them but they keep the flash off the wood if you are shooting an expensive fire arm. They are just one more thing to fiddle with during cleaning at the end of the day.

I'm a lefty shooting right handed cap locks and use them to help keep the cap flash from hitting my right wrist during a shoot. A piece of towel wrapped around my wrist does the same thing. Not saying I'm found of them but they keep the flash off the wood if you are shooting an expensive fire arm. They are just one more thing to fiddle with during cleaning at the end of the day.
When cleaning my guns that I use a cup on - just drop the flash cone and nipple into a MAP bath and let it boil clean.
The peroxide will clean up the mess inside and out of the nipple and cone without too much scrubbing.

Seemed to me they made it harder to run my smokers, cap fragments, capping sometimes, cleaning that area well really meant taking it off. Don’t bother with them now. There is supposed to be a little soot around the flash point, percussion or flint..to me, that is part of the grace they achieve as they age. Wish I could do the same...

I use one on a TC it keeps i cleaner, I got it to keep percussion cap fragments away from my face. After being hit by one close to my eye I saw it as a benefit.

thank you, I guess that the two of us are a minority? what is it they they say about the truth? how did we ever live with out them so many years ago? JMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back