• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flash Cup Tip

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just a thought that may benefit some. I use flash cups on my percussion guns that have drum and nipples rather than the snail type of breach. Crud always builds up inside the cup and I find them difficult to get clean and always end up scraping the inside.

This morning I tried something different. I put the cup in a small medicine bottle, covered with cleaner, and added about a teaspoon of #9 hardened shot. Let soak for about 5 minutes and then shook vigorously for a few minutes. Cup came out clean, inside and out.

Just a thought that may benefit some. I use flash cups on my percussion guns that have drum and nipples rather than the snail type of breach. Crud always builds up inside the cup and I find them difficult to get clean and always end up scraping the inside.

This morning I tried something different. I put the cup in a small medicine bottle, covered with cleaner, and added about a teaspoon of #9 hardened shot. Let soak for about 5 minutes and then shook vigorously for a few minutes. Cup came out clean, inside and out.
If you have an ultra sonic cleaner, just pop the flash cup in the solution for about 3-5min and it will come out like new.

I never found the need to clean it any further on the inside than just what soapy water and a brush removes.
Sounds like polishing your hunting boots, but if it's what you're after....more power to you.
I'm guessing you may not shoot as much as some. They can crude up pretty quickly if you shoot a lot

I installed a flash cup on my CVA mountain rifle because it would send a lot of fouling down into the lock and even get into the trigger set. and affect function. I also have a Traditions Hawkin and do not have the same issue with that.

A good start on cleaning any of your brass is the NRA formula:

It calls for 2 cups of water, 1 cup of white vinegar, 1TBS salt, and 1tsp dish detergent.

I use one on my only percussion rifle because I think it looks cool! I soak it in my cleaning solution when I clean the rifle to get the large chunks of fouling out - not too concerned how it looks - just want to keep corrosion of the parts to a minimum.

I recently went back to using them to keep the drum and breech area clean. Makes cleanup much easier but capping somewhat more difficult. They do build up fouling on the inside of the cup.

Latest posts

Back