• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Fixing" the TC Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is is is what you wanted it to be! More of a Hawken than a TC Hawken. Maybe draw file the TC labeling off the barrel and brown everything?
A few pictures would be a good thing....

You miss my point. Add the cost of the original TC, the iron replacement kit, the sights, the triggers and the stock, and it's well into the range of at least a good used rifle. Replace the remaining TC barrel (improvements are possible) and TC lock (improvements here, too), and it's most certainly in the realm of a good custom. But like the axe George Washington used to cut down the cherry tree with the handle replaced 4 times and the head twice, it would still be just as much a TC as the axe is George's original.

Me? Next time I want to "improve" the TC, I'll sell it and add the cash needed for new parts to fund a better rifle in the first place. Still have my array of original TC Hawkens (but with the Davis trigger, of course) and I use them now and then. But they're going to stay as they are- a $250-$300 rifle that works okay for what it is. I'm not dumping another $400-$500 plus all the labor into another one to make it better. TC's are fine rifles. But if I feel the need for improvements, I'll replace the whole thing rather than add another new handle to George Washington's axe.

You miss my point. Add the cost of the original TC, the iron replacement kit, the sights, the triggers and the stock, and it's well into the range of at least a good used rifle. Replace the remaining TC barrel (improvements are possible) and TC lock (improvements here, too), and it's most certainly in the realm of a good custom. But like the axe George Washington used to cut down the cherry tree with the handle replaced 4 times and the head twice, it would still be just as much a TC as the axe is George's original.

Me? Next time I want to "improve" the TC, I'll sell it and add the cash needed for new parts to fund a better rifle in the first place. Still have my array of original TC Hawkens (but with the Davis trigger, of course) and I use them now and then. But they're going to stay as they are- a $250-$300 rifle that works okay for what it is. I'm not dumping another $400-$500 plus all the labor into another one to make it better. TC's are fine rifles. But if I feel the need for improvements, I'll replace the whole thing rather than add another new handle to George Washington's axe.

I believe the opera has been sung and completed.

"I believe the opera has been sung and completed."

I never even saw the fat lady!

I had a TC Hawken a few years back, everything was as new except for the stock which had been crudely reworked, got it real cheap. I looked at TOW's replacement stock and then the steel parts to make it more authentic and then lightning struck. I passed it along to someone else, put my money in the bank and used my time for something more important.

I've remodeled two TC's. IF you have fun then that is the point. It is a good way to get you feet wet in ML gunsmithing.

The comb is to high, remove a bunch and thin. The cheek piece is very wrong, fix it. The trigger guard is goofie; good thing the brass is very malleable. You can uncoil the pinkie ring and remove the forward pointing part of the birdie finger hook. It will look much better. You can replace the brass nose cap with an entry pipe and pewter tip. Replace the pipe and nest them properly into the rib. The sights are functional, I'd leave them. The final result will look much better and not beat up your face.

In the end it is still just a TC. IF you want a Hawken get a track kit and make one. It is still not a perfect copy, but closer. IF you want a really good Hawken, get a kit for the "Hawken Shop" in Washington state.

My son was off in the Air Force and bought his first pick-up. He drove back to Bama from South Dakota to proudly show me his new ride. He proceeded to explain to me the future elaborate airbrushed scenes he was going to have painted on the sides and how he was going to have the interior reworked. If I remember right his gas pedal was already one of those big, flat foot looking petals with toes and all.

I told him anyone looking for an older pick-up and had the money to buy it wouldn't want his garish creation. Anybody that found it cool and really wanted it wouldn't have the money to buy it so it was best to keep it stock and be able to get rid of it when he was ready for a newer vehicle. Although his feelings were hurt he took my advice and didn't alter his truck, he sold it easily when the time came.

My point is it is the same with TCs, you can make them look much better with a little subtle wood removal and still have a gun that will appeal to most buyers. If you plan to keep it forever the sky in the limit on what you do to it, If you like it, go for it but keep in mind that it is still a $300 TC no matter how much money and time you put into it.

"IF you want a really good Hawken, get a kit for the "Hawken Shop" in Washington state."
The Hawken shop bought out much of the machinery and the molds of the original St Louis shop. They make an outstanding kit based on the original drawings and castings. They also have castings that are a direct bolt on for Thompson Ctrs. The only thing I had replaced was the trigger guard as I really did not like the brass curls. I wanted a shooter and wasn't overly concerned about the looks.

wow. i burned most of the winter on my .45. learning things and applying what i'm learning over the first 35 years carving wooden objects. getting brave enough to put the rubber to the road i carved my first gunstock. i hunt that gun. i'm practicing wire inlay right now for my .50 hawken. then i plan to get a rock lock and do some surgery there as well. thanks pork chop, i felt like a million there. guess i'll keep on studying. after the .50 i think i'll learn some engraving. when i get to the really really good gun i think i'll build it and carve it in the style of Joel Ferree with some influence from frank bartlett. the issac haynes will be built right in. i loath urathane but i likes me some brass and silver.

Caution possible heresy ahead.

The TC hawken is what it is. A mass produced design based on marketing and manufacturing decisions. I believe even the dimensions were based somewhat on the shipping boxes, stock blank costs and barrel making considerations. The rest was marketing to the general public. Have owned and worked on countless numbers since it came out. The biggest complaint is the 28" Barrel length and short forearm. Had they gone to a 32" barrel with dual tenons (like CVA or Lyman) they would have avoided half the complaints. Even with a replacement 32" it really doesn't look or feel right. My point is its your property and you are entitled to do whatever you want to it but bear in mind its original purpose,

DSCF1549.jpg

You can change the looks somewhat without spending a great deal of money. Like others have stated, it's just not really worth spending a lot of money unless it is something you plan on keeping for yourself. The biggest change in the looks of my rifle is the different triggerguard. I've always disliked the extra hook on the Dimik styled guards.

I blued the brass parts and browned the barrel. Some tacks and all the years make it look good.
I’m thinking of replacing the sights some day.

Attachments

• DCFCBB05-0990-4204-9E3F-35142697DD22.jpeg
    DCFCBB05-0990-4204-9E3F-35142697DD22.jpeg
    380.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 143C9A02-8560-43DA-BB9C-D8E388D9BD3A.jpeg
    143C9A02-8560-43DA-BB9C-D8E388D9BD3A.jpeg
    524.5 KB · Views: 150
Back