• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Fixing my .54 cal Hawken set trigger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've recently purchased a .54 caliber InvestArms Bridger Hawken. The set trigger would not engage. I made the mistake of trying to fix it. Removed the trigger guard & the entire trigger assembly. Now I can't reinstall it. I fail to see how the trigger engages the hammer. So now I have no trigger at all. Can anyone direct me to a photo or video resource which show the installation for a complete trigger assembly. Thanks in advance.
Otto

I cant help with photos but the trigger does not engage with hammer it engages the seer bar , the hammer is fixed onto the tumbler .the trigger sits under the bar and flies up and hits the bar when the trigger is pulled , the seer is knocked out of the full cock notch , freeing the tumbler and allowing the mainspring to cause the tumbler to rotate taking the hammer with it . If you do a search on this forum you will find a few discussions on this . also take a look at the Similar Threads at the bottom of them page .

I've recently purchased a .54 caliber InvestArms Bridger Hawken. The set trigger would not engage. I made the mistake of trying to fix it. Removed the trigger guard & the entire trigger assembly. Now I can't reinstall it. I fail to see how the trigger engages the hammer. So now I have no trigger at all. Can anyone direct me to a photo or video resource which show the installation for a complete trigger assembly. Thanks in advance.
Otto
Can you post a photograph of what you have? I have never seen an Investarm Bridger Hawken, but guessing the trigger and lock are very similar to other Investarm guns.

1. Did the front trigger work by itself (not setting the set trigger) with the lock before you attempted to fix things?
  2. Is the lock still installed in the stock?
  3. Have you disassembled the the trigger assembly (other than removing it from the stock)?
  4. If you have not disassembled the trigger, does the set trigger work when it’s not installed in the stock?
  5. There are a few scenarios possibly causing your problem. It could be the small screw between the two triggers being turned in too far. Unlikely as Investarm has a history of making the screw too short. The other possibilities involve the stock wood interfering with the trigger or lock function. Without more information, most likely. Another possibility would be the trigger plate being inlet too deep in the stock, but that usually causes an issue with the lock not going to full cock, so I would eliminate that as a potential problem for now.

Keep searching till you find some pictures online. It is really hard to explain those trigger assembly's. You have 3 screws to deal with,the screw between the 2 triggers,the big screw on the back of the big spring,and a small screw under the big spring. You have to adjust all three back and forth till it functions right. You can do this with the trigger assembly out of the gun,just keep adjusting screws and pulling the set trigger and front trigger till you get it where it works good. Once you get it adjuster put it in the gun and try it,check for depth of trigger assembly and any wood rubbing in the mortise.Any good gunsmith could have you fixed up in ten minutes. I have done plenty of my own guns and they are a gripe to set right!

Now I can't reinstall it.
It's alright, relax,,
First ya gotta figure out how it all works (lock and trigger),,it's easy.
Your gonna hafta pull the lock too, just to figure it out and clean it.
The barrel has to come off before you can pull the lock,, so do that.
Take the single screw out of the side and remove the lock. Time to clean and lube the moving parts of the lock.
This vid was made years ago to show how to remove the coil spring,
Watch my right thumb @ .07 seconds in the vid;

That is the lock trigger arm/bar,, it's the part that the trigger cams strike to make the lock work.
If the lock is in the stock and in a full cock or half-cock position it can be difficult to install the triggers.
With the lock out,, you can now install your triggers.
Once the triggers are in,, work the front trigger while looking at the lock mortise,, that's the front trigger cam moving.
The rear trigger cam is the other one in back and is under spring tension when set, (play with that too) set-release,set/release,,

See how it works now?
so, once the triggers are in, set the rear to clear the trigger cams from that hole and the lock will drop right in..
I hope all that makes sense and is helpful.

Last edited:
The Investarms locks are a virtual clone of the T/C, only they a 3 screws in that cover plate instead of just two.
Same with the triggers,
The easiest way to install the triggers is to "set" the rear trigger before the install, that places the trigger cams in a down position so there will be no contact with the lock sear arm/bar.
Hope that helps

DO NOT GET OUT THE BFH! Never force any type of sidelock, internal or external hammer. Once things are lined up as described, everything slides into place, especially if you hold your tongue just right. If it doesn't slide in and you feel you are forcing it, then the alignment isn't right.

Last edited:
Back