• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Fixing High Touch Hole

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took a couple of left handed guns in some trading. One has a high touch hole (built from kit). Do they sell unbridled vent liners? Thinking I could drill up at angle to remedy.
20220925_155410.jpg
20220925_155450.jpg

Hi,
Yes, the position of the hole is not some precise requirement. First test to see if ignition is a problem. Next, simply drill the hole a little larger up to 1/16" and see if that solves any problems if there are any. Then consider changing the liner.

dave

I prefer mine high as well, that one is just a touch high, the heel of the frizzen should cover the hole, this helps with quick ignition...Have you tried it?

Now, as mentioned, I have made a touch hole liner, really not that hard...I took a stainless steel, threaded rod with the right threads, counter drilled it from the back side, threaded it in, cut it off, filed it flush and drilled the hole where I wanted it...Worked fine...

Ideally the infrared heat radiation is igniting the main charge. A high vent does not matter. You do not want a fuse effect.

Back