• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Five in a tin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumpkiller

That Other Moderator
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Took Cherry for a walk in the woods today. Nothing too exciting - but it was a good session none the less. I pulled together some stumps and branches earlier this spring to make a new ground blind and today went back to clear some of the saplings in the area. This will be a bow and m/l blind.

Sat myself down on a five-gallon pail and put an 8" pie tin out at 82 full paces (80 yards +/-) and took five shots. The spread is 5", one of the holes was two balls overlapping, which is no great shakes but good enough for my purposes. Most of the cover is less that 40 yards.

Just a great day to be out in the tween seasons.

HPIM2448.jpg

Now, I bet if you put your rifle on a bench with the forearm on a rest, you'd probably put those round within 2 inces of each other.

Your pie plate is a reminder to us all of the accuracy we can expect in field conditions with less than ideal rests or none at all. :thumbsup:

Stumpkiller, I suppose "Cherry" is a gun. If so, will you remind us about her. If not, please tell us about the gun that made this group and who the heck is "Cherry"? :idunno:

Skychief

Trench said:
Now, I bet if you put your rifle on a bench with the forearm on a rest, you'd probably put those round within 2 inces of each other.

Maybe in my pre-bifocal days. But I never considered a rifle ready if it's only been benched. That's not "real world" conditions. But it's also the reason I usually put myself in spots anymore where a 60 yard shot is about as far as I can get through the cover anyway.

I guess I ought to hoof a blanket, rest and sandbags down into the woods. It's been years since I tried "official" shooting.

Now how da heck did you git ta know John Donelson?

He's one of your local boy's, I've had the pleasure too shake his hand and stand along side his forge.
To my knowledge, the only thing doesn't make by hand for one of his guns is the barrel.

He'll do that too, or at least he has done. Mine does have a Chambers lock, but John redid the lockplate to match the shape of an existing Moll rifle. The wood is from a cherry he cut off his property. If you run into him again tell him I said "Howdy."

lockplate1.jpg

I ordered a forged knife from him (magazine classified, I think) and we got talking about iron forged rifle furniture and the next thing I knew . . .

JDinshop.jpg

Stumpkiller said:
Trench said:

Maybe in my pre-bifocal days. But I never considered a rifle ready if it's only been benched. That's not "real world" conditions. But it's also the reason I usually put myself in spots anymore where a 60 yard shot is about as far as I can get through the cover anyway.

I guess I ought to hoof a blanket, rest and sandbags down into the woods. It's been years since I tried "official" shooting.

I went back and read my original post and it came off as kind of critical. Didn't mean it that way. I think your pie plate is a great example why you shouldn't rely on bench groups to figure out your best maximum range to take deer. I probably do that too much as it is. The only time I get tight groups is when I'm on a bench and I'll never experience that in the field. It probably gives me a false sense of security while hunting.

Back