• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fitting a Flash Hole liner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently picked up an old Hatfield rifle from the 1980s. It had been part of a pair, one a flintlock, the other a percussion.
My rifle is the percussion. I bought an L&R Hatfield flint lock and a flash hole liner that is for the Hatfield.
All fits nicely - almost. When I close the frizzen, it will seat properly but just grazes the flash hole liner. Should a take a Dremel metal sander bit or file to the face of the flash hole liner?
Should I file the shoulder just behind the face of the liner so that it will sit deeper in the barrel?

Thanks,
Ron

Ron,
The liner should sit flush with the barrel. Without photos, it's hard do diagnose what the solution would be, but that's your ultimate goal.
Need to make sure it's not projecting into,the bore as well.

If I understand your description - the liner is "proud" of the barrel by a very small amount and you would like it to be flush with the barrel -- is that correct? If so this is how I would handle it without scratching up the barrel: take and measure the amount of liner protruding above the barrel (write this number down) then remove the liner and screw it in to a nut to protect the threads and then mount it into a vise and take a fine file and reduce the top of the liner by your measurements -- replace the liner into the gun and check that it is flush with the barrel. After doing this it should be "good to go" :wink: .

Indeed, the face of the liner is "proud" of the barrel. Not much, but enough to feel it.
I like the idea of threading the liner into a nut first before putting it into a vise.

Thank you both!
Ron

take a thin hacksaw or coping saw and slit one of the sides of the nut first.. then when you clamp it, it will compress and hold the liner tight! won't bugger the threads and doesn't allow the liner to spin around as your filing...

FWIW

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

MetalShaper - you one smart guy!

thanks for the suggestion ... gotta remember that one ...

:thumbsup: :hatsoff:

when I use a liner i place a piece of masking tap over it. then cut around the liner, file it flush. cleanup with allchoal.

Success!
Using many of the ideas here, I have filed the liner and it now sits flush. Thank you all!

I found a 5/16 nut that fit, and that was no easy feat as I only had one nut out of many with identical threads to the liner.

Next, I cut the nut with a Dremel, and placed the nut and liner in a vise.

I have messed up enough on projects that I decided to go slowly and incrementally. It took 5 rounds of filing before the liner was flush. File, place in barrel, put in flint lock, test for fit. Then file again and repeat.

The small instructions booklet that comes with the flint lock said to use a 5/8 long, 7/8 wide flint. Yes, that is what it said. 5/8 was much too short, so I put in a 7/8 long flint. It is sparking, but I still have to test fire. That will happen after 23 staples are taken out of my knee and I do physical therapy. :cursing:

Thank you again,
Ron

For anyone wondering about this splitting the nut idea here's a picture of the nut I used when making a vent liner out of a steel screw.

Notice, the cut doesn't even have to be neat and centered and it will still work fine for gripping the threads.

Just cut thru one wall of the nut, put your liner or bolt in the nut and clamp it with a vise or a pair of Vice Grips (or equal).

Be sure the split is not in line with the jaws of the clamp.

RonRC,

Glad it worked out for you and 'my' lil shop kink helped out :thumbsup:

In all honesty, I either borrowed the idea from someone like Zonie... one of the old timey machinist that were in my wife's family ( miss talking to those guys ) or read it in an old 1930's,40's, or 50-ish Popular Mechanics "Shop Annual".. but those old tricks are sometimes the best!!! Like putting a patch or card stock under a countersink reamer.. cuts them smooth and if done right, will even let you clean up a chattered one!! :wink:

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

I use the nut idea with a slight twist. I use a piece of flat stock ( 3/4X1/4). And drill and tap a hole near the end. I haven't put a slit in the end to tighten the vent in, but that is something I will do , good idea. This lets me clamp it in the vice better and I have a little more surface to keep the file straight / square to the vent. Also once installed if I need to file flush to the barrel a little more, I put one wrap of masking tape around the end of the nose of the file to keep from scratching the barrel. I then let the file ride on the tape till I get down to where I want.Probably more methods , just the way that works for me.

Back