• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fitment issues

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owen13

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey guys just received a new hawken rifle and I’m having fitment issues. The barrel and stock have a gap between them making me have to squeeze tightly to get them flush and for the pins to line up in the holes. I started to put the pins in but it is very difficult as you have to squeeze tue stock and barrel together and then try to get the pin in. I got one about half way and wanted to see how hard it was to get back out. VERY HARD! I’ve heard some guys never take their barrel off to clean, because in my case if I put this gun together it isn’t coming apart very easy I feel. I plan to send the gun back just wanted to see what you guys thought. I’ll attach a picture of how it sits vs when I squeeze it together.
Thanks

Attachments

• A149BEB6-F52F-457F-A5FF-45E4EA3FE77B.jpeg
    A149BEB6-F52F-457F-A5FF-45E4EA3FE77B.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 84
  • C2916D00-B8C9-4A76-A31A-39337EEB5CF9.jpeg
    C2916D00-B8C9-4A76-A31A-39337EEB5CF9.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 78
First off, welcome to the forum from North Carolina.
I started to put the pins in but it is very difficult as you have to squeeze tue stock and barrel together and then try to get the pin in.
Stop squeezing and forcing things. You have to find the reason the barrel is not dropping into place and fix or eliminate that reason. Could be a number of things. Who made the gun? Is it a kit? New or used? What model is it? Explain what you did to get to the point you are at. And again, don’t force it. Push hard enough and you will possibly crack the stock through the wrist.

Welcome from Oklahoma.
Hard to say what you got going on there.
Just a wild guess that maybe the stock was made for a barrel a bit wider across the flats than what you have.
If it's a used gun, it could have been cobbled together with different parts.

Thanks I’m in Colorado and happy to be part now. It’s a new Gemmer Hawkin plains rifle from Investarm. I can put the end of the barrel to the stock and it’s flush but as you get farther up the stock towards the muzzle the gap gets bigger. Can’t tell if the stock is a little off exactly but I don’t see any other instructions

Thanks I’m in Colorado and happy to be part now. It’s a new Gemmer Hawkin plains rifle from Investarm. I can put the end of the barrel to the stock and it’s flush but as you get farther up the stock towards the muzzle the gap gets bigger. Can’t tell if the stock is a little off exactly but I don’t see any other instructions
Also it’s a 50 cal flintlock

Welcome from Oklahoma.
Hard to say what you got going on there.
Just a wild guess that maybe the stock was made for a barrel a bit wider across the flats than what you have.
If it's a used gun, it could have been cobbled together with different parts.

its a brand new Investarms hawken plains rifle. Everything looks good and the barrel fitment is perfect to the stock and lock but as it gets closer to the muzzle the gap widens

Maybe try this. Loosen the tang bolt(s) (assuming this has a detached tang). Put the barrel in the stock and insert the wedges, then tighten up the tang bolt.

My Investarms Lyman Great Plains is the same way. I’ve taken mine apart 100 times and squeeze it to get the wedges back in. No problems. I look at it that the tension keeps the wedges from coming out during recoil. I use a brass flat punch to knock the wedges out prior to taking it apart, and tap them back in with a small brass hammer.

Is it a hard squeeze? Mine is very tight, I’ll have to hit them in and out with quite a bit of force. I’ve watched videos of guys barely tapping them and then pulling them out with there hands, I cannot do that I need pliers it’s really tight.

My Investarms Lyman Great Plains is the same way. I’ve taken mine apart 100 times and squeeze it to get the wedges back in. No problems. I look at it that the tension keeps the wedges from coming out during recoil. I use a brass flat punch to knock the wedges out prior to taking it apart, and tap them back in with a small brass hammer.
Squeezing the barrel into the stock may not be an issue in all cases, but OP stated he was squeezing more than he was comfortable with. That’s the time to stop. I repaired more stocks cracked through their wrists than I can count. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

I would try loosening or even remove the tang as @rafterob suggested and see if the barrel fits in the stock. I would also remove the lock when trying this.

Is it a hard squeeze? Mine is very tight, I’ll have to hit them in and out with quite a bit of force. I’ve watched videos of guys barely tapping them and then pulling them out with there hands, I cannot do that I need pliers it’s really tight.
Does your gun have wedges or pins holding the barrel to the stock?

its a brand new Investarms hawken plains rifle. Everything looks good and the barrel fitment is perfect to the stock and lock but as it gets closer to the muzzle the gap widens
Believe the Investarms Hawken has wedges. With the Lymans made by Investarms I have owned the barrels easily dropped into the stocks. In my opinion, something, likely very minor, isn’t right.

I would take a look at the barrel tenon. I was just thinking about one of my rifles and how tight the wedge was trying to tap it in place. I found that someone at the factory must have put a small dent in the tenon. Probably because it was very loose from the get go.
I took a good size flat screwdriver and kinda unbent the tenon just a little bit and the wedge fits in a lot easier.

Put some black ink or something else on bottom of barrel. Put in your stock. Take back out look see where black marks are on the stock remove the wood thats marked

Perhaps there is a little shrinkage/warping in the wood? I would do as TnPB suggested; relieve the inletting a tiny bit. Probably only needs a tiny fraction of an inch removed. Go slow, and try the fit a lot until things go together properly. Wedges or pins should be tight enough that they don't shake out in use. I like wedges that need a gentle tap to remove; push in by hand.

Thanks for all the help guys. Turns out the gun did have some warping and the stock wasn’t going to fit. I sent the gun back but unfortunately it’s out of stock. They have the same rifle in percussion but I wanted a flintlock. Might try to find another or I’ll go percussion.

My guess is you have some inletting to improve. Or maybe they owe you a replacement stock due to faulty workmanship.

Do NOT EVER force anything !!!!!!!! You have a problem and cracking the stock is not the solution you are looking for.
sent The gun back it had stock issues. Thanks for the reply

Back