• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Fishing kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradg

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been trying for a couple months to place an order with Historical Angling and can't seem to get anywhere (hope he is doing well). Does anyone else sell 18th century fishing tackle?

I think there was a fellow at the Valley Forge National Park that had a lot of knowledge. Call the national park and they might be able to help.

I never knew anything like this existed. I ordered a kit from Turkey Foot Trading Co. I think the little kits are cool.

Thanks for the links
Sorry those aren't actually for "angling" but just for fishing, as "angling" back then meant using artificial lures (mostly what we call flies). I chuckle too that I know folks who think I do Tenkara fishing, which is now a very popular form of fly fishing...., when in fact I do 18th century angling. A fly rod with a line to a fly without a reel wasn't unique to Japan. The Treatyse on Fysshynge with an Angle by Dame Juliana Berners was published in 1496.

The Treatyse on Fysshyngw with an Angle 1496 but be warned it's like reading Chaucer....,

LD

How was it practiced? How far could you cast? Was it more like dapping?
You could do it either way. As a cast, you only have at the most 50% more length of line than the length of the rod. But the rod tends to be pretty big. Dappling was the other strategy. Unlike modern Tenkara, the leader doesn't really float that well if at all.

LD

When I was a kid I had an old bamboo "pole" I think about 10" long. Well if you tied a 10' line to it and lobbed it out- that's 20" but if you held some of the line in your hand and lobbed it out, letting go at the right moment, now about 25' or more. Given a lot of modern flyrods, etc. are based on a 40" cast the bamboo wasn't all that bad. I used it in lily pads where I could lift the line out of the area without dragging it through all the pads and creating a commotion.

Latest posts

Back