• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Try at Pictures

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, here's hoping that my Franklin Co gets here.
I've never tried this before so I'll probably screw it up.
Well, I'll be doged! It did work! Looks like I'll need a little help from you members so it doesn't come in so big next time!! My Thanks to Ironwood for telling me about Photobucket.
d8081dd9.jpg

Zonie....Now that's one fine looking rifle! Beautiful wood! I hope to have one like that some day.

There are at least 3 ways to reduce your photo size. First, your camera should have come with some type of CD photo editor. With the photo editor your should be able to reduce the size of your photo to something around 600 X 600 pixels or smaller. With the photo editor you might be able to do some cropping/triming to keep the subject larger while doing away with some of the photo that isn't important. Second, your camera might have an editing program built right in. Third, you should be able to reduced the size of the photo by reducing the resolution setting of your camera before you take the photo. Altough the photo will not be as sharp a setting of 640 X 480 will usually fit on a forum screen.

We all need to remember that photos take up Lot's and Lot's of space on the forums. If we can keep the photo size down around 60 or 70 KB I'm sure the forum Administrator will appreciate it. :)

It's a purty one 'zonie, you can send it my way any time you want, I'll take real good care of it for you.

A little about the Franklin:

If your interested, it's a .50 Green Mountain barrel, Syler Precussion Lock Kit (castings, screws and springs). #3 Pecatonica CM stock that started off as a "Verner", which I modified.

I styled it after Franklin County School which is very similar to the Bedford except stouter. By that I mean it has the same radical drop of the comb as the Bedford but the lock is not the traditional very slim and long lockplate of the Bedford. It uses a more traditional lock. I used photos of a Schwietzer gun for reference.
This gun represents a 1800-1815 era rifle which was converted to Precussion. Yes, I know the German Silver wasn't used then but I like the looks of it.

The contrast of the stripes I attribute to the Lye Water treatment I posted about and several coats of Walnut and Colonial Brown water based stain. That explains the reddish cast to the color.
As I recall (I built it is 1998) it has over 16 coats of True Oil on it which I polished out with Silver Polish.
It represents the type of gun owned by the very wealthy people who could afford all of the extras.

I really went nuts when I built this gun and installed over 32 German Silver and Sterling Silver inlays plus a pierced Patchbox. (In fact, I got so damn tired of installing inlays on it, the next gun I built only had 3! I call it a Southern because of it's style and its lack of frills like inlays and a patchbox. It is brass mounted and it's a .54 Flintlock).

I guess it's a combination of the caliber and the stock comb drop but this Franklin is the most unpleasent gun to shoot of all of the guns I've built. It gives a good whack to the cheekbone under my right eye every time its fired. Good enough to leave a light bruse.

Mooskeetman: Ye wouldn't like it. It are one o them new fangled thins that eats em little copper caps. Ye know, the ones what replaced rocks an poofs in the pan.

I'd thin the Transitional would be more to yer likin.

Iffen ye likes am a little longer in the barrel, Ah s got what Ah calls my Southern that I may post soon. (Don't wants ta look like Ah'm a showin off but Ah never gets tired o lookin at other peoples guns whether they made um or not, so Ah'm a hopein ye all will understand that Ah'm not tryin ta be a show off whan ye sees her.)

Now that I kinda know how to post pictures I thought I would add the rest of the views of the Franklin County Rifle I put together.
rsfrank.jpg

lsfrank.jpg

rbsfrank.jpg

Don't You need some kind of permit for that much silver?I'd almost be afraid to shoot it. Beautifull work,Don't know if i'd dare post pics of my junk now! :redface: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gifGordy

I guess it's a combination of the caliber and the stock comb drop but this Franklin is the most unpleasent gun to shoot of all of the guns I've built. It gives a good whack to the cheekbone under my right eye every time its fired. Good enough to leave a light bruse.

I think she's just mad 'cause you built her as a cap gun and not a real gun; flintwise, that is. ::

Beautiful (otherwise). Must have to walk sofly when huntin to keep all the bells and whistles from going off.

Back