• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First try at a bag.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made my son a bag to go with his t/c hawken. First time trying this.
Ross,

For your first bag, that is very good stitching with not much room to improve. Most folks don't get that good looking of stitching for a few more bags at least, unless they have a mentor to teach them. I had saddle stitched for over 35 years when I was informed of the following video and I learned some neat things from it. So I hope you will enjoy it:

May I ask what oz weight (thickness) of leather you made the strap from? Unless it is a lot thinner than it looks, you didn't need to double it over on the ends as you sewed them to the pouch. Nock already mentioned not stitching across the width of the leather at the stress point. Good for Nock.

There are two things about the two piece strap I'd like to suggest to you. It looks to me like you vat dyed (ran the strap through a bowl or container of dye) or at least put a lot of dye on the rough side of the leather. In the 18th century (I know before the period of this pouch) they only dyed the smooth side of the leather. This was done not only to save money/no need to dye what would not be seen, but also ensured that oil could occasionally be easily worked into the flesh side as needed without having to get through the dye. In the future, I would not use that heavy of a coat of dye on the flesh side for this reason. BTW, I dampen leather before I occasionally oil it, so I don't inadvertently put too much oil on it.

The other thing about the two piece strap is I'm wondering if you deliberately meant to have the flesh side of the leather exposed when worn, or if it was a mistake? Most of the time in the period and today, the flesh side of the strap would be inboard against the body. I think that was mainly for looks, but the flesh side also helps a little to keep the bag to stay put and not slide around on the shoulder, as the smooth side of the leather allows it to slip more easily.

I wish my first bag had been near as good as yours.

Gus

Ross,

For your first bag, that is very good stitching with not much room to improve. Most folks don't get that good looking of stitching for a few more bags at least, unless they have a mentor to teach them. I had saddle stitched for over 35 years when I was informed of the following video and I learned some neat things from it. So I hope you will enjoy it:

May I ask what oz weight (thickness) of leather you made the strap from? Unless it is a lot thinner than it looks, you didn't need to double it over on the ends as you sewed them to the pouch. Nock already mentioned not stitching across the width of the leather at the stress point. Good for Nock.

There are two things about the two piece strap I'd like to suggest to you. It looks to me like you vat dyed (ran the strap through a bowl or container of dye) or at least put a lot of dye on the rough side of the leather. In the 18th century (I know before the period of this pouch) they only dyed the smooth side of the leather. This was done not only to save money/no need to dye what would not be seen, but also ensured that oil could occasionally be easily worked into the flesh side as needed without having to get through the dye. In the future, I would not use that heavy of a coat of dye on the flesh side for this reason. BTW, I dampen leather before I occasionally oil it, so I don't inadvertently put too much oil on it.

The other thing about the two piece strap is I'm wondering if you deliberately meant to have the flesh side of the leather exposed when worn, or if it was a mistake? Most of the time in the period and today, the flesh side of the strap would be inboard against the body. I think that was mainly for looks, but the flesh side also helps a little to keep the bag to stay put and not slide around on the shoulder, as the smooth side of the leather allows it to slip more easily.

I wish my first bag had been near as good as yours.

Gus

I appreciate it and yes the flesh side out was a mistake so I just ran with it. Figured I would do better on the next one. Definitely want to build a stitching pony to help hold the piece. Not sure the weight of the leather it was some extra I had laying around. And the ends of the strap that are sewn to the bag are not doubled over. I really appreciate all the advice and help guys. Hopefully I will improve on the next one.

I appreciate it and yes the flesh side out was a mistake so I just ran with it. Figured I would do better on the next one. Definitely want to build a stitching pony to help hold the piece. Not sure the weight of the leather it was some extra I had laying around. And the ends of the strap that are sewn to the bag are not doubled over. I really appreciate all the advice and help guys. Hopefully I will improve on the next one.
I bought the stitching pony from Weaver leather. Weaver is normally on the expensive side of things but the pony was more than reasonable and works great.
20210120_100302.jpg
20210120_102325.jpg
20210120_110550.jpg
20210120_102656.jpg
20210120_102701.jpg

My apologies for the ugly SOB in the last two pics.
I did pad the jaws with some scrap leather glued on rough side out, gives better grip and clamping power. Especially on thinner leather projects. Money well spent.

Back