• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First trip to Friendship

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Steele

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Next month, I'll be making my first trip to the NMLRA National Matches at Friendship, IN.
I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of a new 40 caliber flintlock Southern Mountain longrifle being finished up for me as I write this. It has fixed sights, and as far as I know...is "traditional" in all respects. This new rifle is what I plan to do most, if not ALL of my shooting with.
That said, over the past year, I have enjoyed shooting my T/C flintlock Hawken off a set of rests and get pretty good results. The rifle has a Green Mountain bbl, and Lyman target sights. .500 PRB's shoot REAL well for me.
My question to anyone more familiar with the NMLRA match rules is whether there are any matches that this rifle would qualify for.
FL%20Hawken%208.2015%20001_zps2xu0yslm.jpg
[/URL][/img]
Thank You.

Find Mingo Mings, he is a rifle shooter and quite a character. He shoots close to the pistol shooters end.

Tell him that this is your first trip and you are seeking any help you can get about the procedures there.

You can get an inexpensive breakfast starting at 0600 each morning and can get lunch also.

If also fails, go the pistol line and find Lou Helsel or Russ Combs and tell them Richard sent you and they will do anything to help you.

Dry fire everyday until you leave, you can do that by dry firing at the light switches in your house.

The traffic is really bad on the weekends do the flea market.

Take some warm clothes, last year the morning temps. were in the 40s. Light is critical there in the early morning do to the adjacent hill.

Have fun and enjoy your time.

Thank you Richard. I will make a point of looking them up.I posted the question to this forum regarding my Hawken type rifle with non-original bbl, and adjustable target sights ( including the globe front) because out here in the hinterland...one hears a lot of "Stuff" about what is and what isn't allowed in the matches. I have looked through an older copy of the rule book(2000 vintage) and to be honest...there seem to be so many different classifications, classes, etc,etc...I decided to just ask here, if the T/C in the picture might fit anywhere up there.
Reckon I'll just carry it up there, check-in, and ask the range officers.
Note to anyone here, that might also be going...my camping spot is pretty near the gate...look for Florida license plates...and a small tent. Drop by to say howdy.

With rifle I am no help, I shoot pistols.

Cell phone reception is very limited if you need to call out or be reached.

I am grounded this year, we are going into 50 days with no rain and temps around 108.

Have a nice time.

there are quite a few different matches. non open sights will limit you to certain matches.

Best look at the program on line and rule book to see what matches will allow you to shoot this rifle.

Don't be afraid to let the range officers know it is your first time. Might save you some headaches.

Have fun and enjoy your self.

Fleener

We usually have a woodswalk competition between members of the forum. Its really laid back and lots of fun. It also gives everyone the chance to meet face to face, and hang out together. We would love to have you shoot with us if you have time. :thumbsup:

Its usually on Sunday morning of the first weekend of the shoot. Someone should be posting the details in the next couple of weeks. I'll look forward to seeing you there. P.M. me if I can help you with anything.

You can use it to shoot the Any Metallic Sights match at Running Boar. I operate Running Boar and would be glad to meet you.

In fact, if you can look through an old shoot program (they change VERY little from year to year, and decade to decade, and are nearly impossible to understand for a newcomer) you can look for Any Metallic Sight in the various rifle matches. Those are the matches for that rifle. Your new rifle would open up an entire new realm of fun.

The Spring Shoot program only marginally differs from the Fall Shoot program.
Linked is the link to the 2014 Spring Shoot Program as a webpage. It let's you find the matches which you can shoot with this combo in seconds.
Here it is: http://rsengineering.de/nmlra/

P.S. All rifle match prices were raised $1 in price. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
That link is AWESOME. :hatsoff: .Thank you for sharing it.
Exactly what I need to figure out which of the incredibly wide variety of matches I might be able to shoot.
I'll be looking for details on the woodswalk get together for those of us on this forum as well. I've never done one of those, but heard they are fun.

No problem Don!
For the woodswalk, you need to be able to load from your pouch without a bench and have at least supplies for 20 shots with you. A range rod is allowed.
If you shoot flint, bring a replacement flint of course. In Friendship, everything what usually doesn't go wrong has the tendency to go wrong.
Bring a ball puller etc.

You lucky duck!! Going to Friendship. When I lived in Indiana, I went to both the spring and fall matches every year. What a great time.

There is some kind of match for almost any kind of rifle. You won't be able to shoot in all of the matches but there will be matches that you can shoot in.

Enjoy! I'm green with envy. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the heads-up on the Woods walk. never been on one of those. When I hunt with my Hawken, I only carry enough "Stuff" for 4-5 loads. You've given me something to think about, and plan for. :hmm:

Back