• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First traditional harvest

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
same here LOL but no i am in no way a victim. i can handle myself fairly well. i am just right and you know it! not even a close argument! LOL!! but hey we are men and we can be friends,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Nothing like being humble šŸ˜‡ .....but a good hand shake works as long as it is sincere...šŸ¤

same here LOL but no i am in no way a victim. i can handle myself fairly well. i am just right and you know it! not even a close argument! LOL!! but hey we are men and we can be friends,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Obvisally not a argument, I've never had a argument that wasn't face to face this is just so much internet yada, yada, and no I don't know that.

hahahaha, well it has been fun and gave me a few laughs! and i am in no way at all mad! but please get back to me let me know what that butcher says when you ask him for some harvested cow meat! LOL!!!

Can I just say Iā€™m happy I hit him! šŸ˜‚ this road to traditional equipment has been a bumpy one and Iā€™m sure thankful for all the things Iā€™ve read on this forum. I just hate to argue with my fellow outdoorsman. Iā€™m a hunter like most of you guys, just looking to put a little meat in the freezer with a challenge. I never meant for my post to cause so much stink. Iā€™d just rather us all come together as hunters. Iā€™m 27 years old and havenā€™t experienced the world as most of yā€™all know it, but iā€™m just thankful to be able to go out and hunt with my sidelocks on a piece of ground behind my ā€œhome placeā€.

I had bought the T/C big boar off of gunbroker because I had always wanted a 58cal. I have a T/C cougar as well and a few other T/Cā€™s I always had an obsession with them. Anyways this was going to be my first year hunting with traditional equipment exclusively. I bought a Lee REAL mold and my hand cast bullets came out at 442gr. I settled on a load of 90 grains of 2f goex with my cast bullet lubed with T/C pine scented bore butter. The gun absolutely LOVES this load and will shoot clover leaves at 50 yards benched off bags! After getting my load worked I felt confident out to 100 yards with a good rest. My best friend has 100 private acres right down the road from me which we hunt every year together. We always run cameras on it, but struggle to kill any ā€œgoodā€ bucks off of it each year. Well this year we moved a few stands around and the day before opening day of muzzleloader we decided to move ā€œmyā€ set to a oak ridge overlooking a real steep holler. I hunted till 10am before I saw the first deer a doe, immediately followed by the buck in the picture. I had an opening on him at 80 yards and when he stepped into the hole I shot him. He just flinched and ran back towards my buddy, who was huntin just down the ridge from me. I sent my buddy a text and asked him if the buck came by him and he said no. So we sat for a hour and got down to look for him. Upon reaching where he was standing there was no blood so we walked to the last place I seen him and again no blood. So my buddy chalked it up to a miss and I wanted to make one more ā€œloopā€ on the area. I walked back to the last place we were and made it another 20 yards and he was laying there stone dead. He never bled a drop! The shot went through both front shoulders maybe a shade low. In total he made it about 80 yards. Thatā€™s the long and drawn out story haha. But I will say it was a day Iā€™ll never forget and a task off my bucket list. The buck I killed was never on any of our cameras I guess a traveler looking for a doe.
Thanks for a detailed account of your hunt, it sounds quite memorable.

Good God people....the man got his first harvest, kill, maiming, mutilation, downing, whatever....
you're fighting over a damned stupid word, when we're here to hear his story and the fact he's proud he got his first deer with a traditional.....GET OVER IT ALREADY AND LET IT GO!!!
PATCHBOX, I APOLOGIZE FOR ALL THIS manure!! CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR DEER AND ENJOY THE MEALS IT WILL PROVIDE.

Hey Patch. Congrats on your deer no mater how you describe downing it. As for the tempest in a tea cup it has caused here, I hope youā€™re enjoying that too. Remember, smooth water ainā€™t much fun to raft on.šŸ˜

As relates to the deer herd, might just be a matter of volume, I HARVEST the field corn en mass for the animals, but I PICK some sweet corn for dinner. Some suburbanite with a back yard garden might consider a 1/2 a dozen ears a harvest but I donā€™t. Guess itā€™s just a consequence of perspective
I was just using common terms where I live, wildlife in the greater term is a harvest, domestic animals are slaughtered. Plantlife is always called a harvest or just picked if you are a gardener. On an individual level most just say "I killed a deer" or "I got a deer".

When a Gran Torino, hit one of our bulls that got loose in 1978, it wasn't a harvest. He survived the night with half of his head caved in, and we killed him the next day. You should have seen the car!
Good God people....the man got his first harvest, kill, maiming, mutilation, downing, whatever....
you're fighting over a damned stupid word, when we're here to hear his story and the fact he's proud he got his first deer with a traditional.....GET OVER IT ALREADY AND LET IT GO!!!
PATCHBOX, I APOLOGIZE FOR ALL THIS manure!! CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR DEER AND ENJOY THE MEALS IT WILL PROVIDE.
I can tell by the posts going on, still haven't got it yet. Post wasn't about words, it was about your first deer harvest:doh:

This thread is a great example of why guns and hunting has a decreasing level of respect and acceptance today. We should all unite when it comes to this but some of you are so fickle that for 5 pages you can't do anything but argue over the correct phrase to talk about taking a deer for the freezer.

Go start this discussion in the private members area and keep it a) off the public forum and b) off this poor buggers thread.

I've got a hunt coming up in a few weeks and if this is the kind of reception a hunting success story receives I won't bother posting about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back