• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First traditional deer.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only deer I've killed with my .54 did the same thing. At the shot the large doe simply fell sideways into a ditch and never moved when hit. That was a good shot, by the way.

Better late then never. Finally got my first traditional muzzleloader deer. Didn’t feel like using my model 70 so ide thought I’d try to brake in my signature series Lyman GPR. Sneaking back to the area I wanted to hunting a spooked a small group of bucks. The lead buck happen to stop in the only clear shooting lane about 70 yards. Took a steady bead and dropped the hammer on him. I was impressed with how fast the 54 cal put him down. Through the smoke I could see he basically fell right over and gave a twitch and that was about it. Next goal is a smooth bore deer.
Build a fire, find some salt, celebrate the ancient ritual. Good job!

Congrats on your first traditional deer! An impressive shot with a great result! :thumb:

I've shot .54's for many years as it quickly became my favorite deer caliber. They don't all fall over on the spot, though it happens. But with a good hit, they aren't going too far either. But then, many calibers will do that, even much smaller ones, like .45's, as we've seen time and time again on this forum through the postings by users of that caliber. I've used .50 through .62 and RB's and Conicals. Never saw a lot of difference, over the long haul, with any of them when the shot is on the money.

Better late then never. Finally got my first traditional muzzleloader deer. Didn’t feel like using my model 70 so ide thought I’d try to brake in my signature series Lyman GPR. Sneaking back to the area I wanted to hunting a spooked a small group of bucks. The lead buck happen to stop in the only clear shooting lane about 70 yards. Took a steady bead and dropped the hammer on him. I was impressed with how fast the 54 cal put him down. Through the smoke I could see he basically fell right over and gave a twitch and that was about it. Next goal is a smooth bore deer.

right on brother!

Back