• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First time out with new rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevePrice2

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Upon buying a used 23 year old Spanish 50 cal Hawken or Mtn Rifle (not sure which yet) I discovered the trigger and lock mechanisms weren't jiving well together.

Several guys posted replies and Longball58 PM'd me with just the right ideas. It was a factory built gun issue of too deep inletting on the trigger mech and having clearance probs with the lock parts not allowing full cock or sear trip.

Anywho after tweaking to just about right, I took the spanish lady out for a twirl.

I managed a couple shots...tweaked the tumbler screw a half turn and was in business. Put around 25 RBs through her just to get familiar with it. It is somewhat different of a shooter than my little TC New Englander but I like it.

Muzzle loading is one addictive shooting sport. Even with a couple of Sharps in the safe the ML comes out every time and usually a 22 for grins.

Now I'm thinking of building one.

Steve

Steve,
I'm glad you had a good first time experience with that rifle, they can be real tack drivers if fed and cared for properly.
Longball 58

It's funny how a long day at the range with a muzzleloader and 25 or 30 shots can be a lot more fun than a suppository gun and two or three boxes of ammo.

Many Klatch

Go for the build! :grin: It is fun, requires new skills and the results can be outstandingly beautiful! :wink:
I have a chunk of walnut just waiting. Got to find the time. Good luck.

Merdean

Many Klatch said:
It's funny how a long day at the range with a muzzleloader and 25 or 30 shots can be a lot more fun than a suppository gun and two or three boxes of ammo.

Many Klatch

Amen to that :thumbsup: Heck of alot cheaper too.

yep, another one turned to the dark side... once a flintlock built have you, forever will it dominate your range time...

go for the build, you'll have a blast, and soon you'll have a houseful of rifles most of which you built yourself.

you can never be too rich, too thin,or have too many flintlocks!

make good smoke!

Many Klatch Said:It's funny how a long day at the range with a muzzleloader and 25 or 30 shots can be a lot more fun than a suppository gun and two or three boxes of ammo.

Many Klatch

"suppository gun" I like that. Many, your too much! :rotf:

Sirjohn

Latest posts

Back