• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First time lock build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Cormier

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Trying to build a Siler large flint lock fror my first build . Do I fit the tumbler to the cock/hammer or the hammer to the tumbler. Thanks in advance Ken

I would say fit the cock to the tumbler.

Thinning the already thin square drive is not a good idea as it needs all of the material and strength it can have.
The cock on the other hand has plenty of material around the square drive hole.

You fit the hammer/cock to the tumbler. You try to file that tumbler shaft with a regular file, you will need a new file if the tumbler came hardened, as they are usually harder than the file. And as stated, you need all the meat on the tumbler shaft you can keep.

The hammer/cock should be a Tightfit that you have to drive on (within reason :hmm: ) :hmm: & punch out. If not, it will wear the hole in the hammer/cock extremely fast if you shoot the rifle much.

Absoutely DO NOT try to walk the hammer/cock off the tumbler shaft with a screwdriver blade back & forth. That is a recipe for disaster. You always Punch them out with a square end brass punch you make from a piece of 1/4" brass rod. The square part being just barely undersize of the square hole in the hammer/cock and about 1/2" long on that square part so it don't wedge into the hammer. I make the rod about 4" long so it is easier to hold.

Keith Lisle

Back