• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First time doing woods walk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jf71

32 Cal
Reaction score
Good morning.
So i am doing a woods walk this sat and am wondering what to bring? Apparently it will be 28 shots so obv 28 PRB, 28 patches, 28 primers, 1lbs of powder. What els should i bring like a jar of water for cleaning, some sort of crud cutter for faster cleaning Anything like that? Thanks in advance.

Bring a few extra caps, balls, and patches + a nipple removing wrench just in case.... You won't need a jar of water, but a small plastic bottle with a screw on top with water or rubbing alcohol (70% is fine, but 90% is better). Be sure to relax and have fun!

Btw, I've made a check list for my hunting pouch so I won't forget such essentials as a powder measure, etc.

Good morning.
So i am doing a woods walk this sat and am wondering what to bring? Apparently it will be 28 shots so obv 28 PRB, 28 patches, 28 primers, 1lbs of powder. What els should i bring like a jar of water for cleaning, some sort of crud cutter for faster cleaning Anything like that? Thanks in advance.
I use a brass range rod for loading and cleaning. I pre-lube my patches with moose milk and like them damp. I carry a small spray bottle with alcohol for cleaning and run a damp cleaning patch every few shots. I shoot a .45 TC and 50 gr. of 3f black powder. I shoot 2 woods walks locally and 2 at Friendship every year. Lots of fun.

Whatta ya need water for? If needed I wet a patch with spit.
p.s. spit patch is another good reason to give up packaged pre-cuts

and/or,, if you need damp patches as part of your shooting technique,, put a bunch of wet patch in a ziplock sandwich bag.

In our local "woods-walk", many times you need a compass, a fire starting kit, a needle and thread, trade beads, etc,,,

Whatta ya need water for? If needed I wet a patch with spit.
p.s. spit patch is another good reason to give up packaged pre-cuts
I was told warm water is good for cleaning, i have been using crud cutter so far. I have pre cut and lubber patches for shooting.

Many have already mentioned items you may need. I like to bring a small tool wallet with nipple wrench (if percussion gun), touch hole and nipple pick, ball puller (cause everyone dry balls sometime), patch puller, extra flints & leather, flint knapper, ram rod puller, (for those stuck jags with patch) screw driver that fits the cock of a flint lock in use, a cut-off tooth brush to clean nipple threads, and most important, my 2.5X cheater glasses.

Since you said primers I am going with you are shooting a percussion gun, in my percussion bag I have:

Capper and extra tin of caps
Powder measure
Ball starter
Nipple wrench
Balls and patches, as stated above bring more than 28.
Powder flask or horn depending on what you have.
Alcohol wipers (the small square ones in a rip open package) and a small hand towel. Nice to have to keep your hand clean if needed, especially if it is hot and humid. Not necessarily needed.

If I'm worried about cleaning I bring a small hand sanitizer bottle full of simple green and a few cleaning patches.

Most important thing is have fun!

Good morning.
Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 5.10.52 PM.png
Real handy for woods walks.
Larry

I was told warm water is good for cleaning,
Ok, but you don't need to "clean" until after your done shooting right?
I'm asking honestly,, I mean nobody is going to ask you to clean your rifle during the woods walk.
The only reason to clean is if you need too do so to continue shooting.
Some event's are 50 shot's,, I don't "clean" my rifle until that day's shooting is done.
Myself and many others do take measures to care for the rifles bore condition during those 50 shot's too maintain accuracy, but that does not include a need to carry water for cleaning. Cleaning items are left in camp or at the truck to be used when needed.
If I'm off track here, please help me understand what your needs are(?)
You can "Start a Conversation" if you want to keep it private,,
I know it's late in the week, and your shoot is this weekend,, just go, have fun, and don't forget to learn stuff,,
We'll be here for ya, 😇

Last edited:
I use a brass range rod for loading and cleaning. I pre-lube my patches with moose milk and like them damp. I carry a small spray bottle with alcohol for cleaning and run a damp cleaning patch every few shots. I shoot a .45 TC and 50 gr. of 3f black powder. I shoot 2 woods walks locally and 2 at Friendship every year. Lots of fun.

View attachment 225347Real handy for woods walks.
Larry
I understand that these are not actually period or historically correct for the 1700's, but I use them religiously anyway for woods walks, range shooting, and especially a small one for hunting. For woods walks, I usually get about 4-8 shots before I have to clean, because I can't load easily anymore. Using spit patches seems to help keep the bore a little cleaner.

I have yet to do a woods walk, but they have one that I can attend a couple times a year. Are you allowed to use preloads?

You can use preloads, or loading blocks to spead up loading but you usually have enough time to load powder, patch and ball and you should load at each station. You are usually in a group.

. Now i know what i need for the next time.
You're probably hooked now!!! I don't know what you are using for patch lube but I have found cleaning is necessary if I'm using bore butter or mink oil for patch lube due to hard loading. If I use "spit" patches no cleaning is needed. My favorite "spit" is a 50/50 mix simple green and water, self cleaning every shot.

I have yet to do a woods walk, but they have one that I can attend a couple times a year. Are you allowed to use preloads?
It depends on the rules. Some want just what an historic hunter/scout would carry. Some say for a quick hunt others for an extended stay.
One I went to gave you points for historic money in your kit, and wanted your team to run a ball.
Others are just you hunting today.
A canteen is handy. A crazy crow stainless won’t flavor water, is just one qt and very handy.

Back