• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First the ammo now the guns????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This whole thing blows! I was looking around the other day for a new cap and ball and I feel like I just stepped out of a time capsule. Everything is out. No end in sight. Brassers are going for more money than steel frames were a few year ago.

Pietta and Uberti both make a dandy of a product, I hope when/if anything returns to normal that we don't get a generation of stinkers. A rush on production to fill demand, cost cutting measures, a decreased work force, senior employees phased out...oh, it's a PRE-21, they just don't make em like that anymore so...ugh this thing could never end.

I talked with a nice lady in sales at EMF a few weeks ago. She told me that Italy has gone back into full lock down again due to the most recent surge in Covid cases. She said that Pietta told them to not expect significant inventory until late this year.

Last edited:
I sell a few hundred thousand dollars worth of Kifco Water Reels most years. I’ve been in regular contact with the Italian factory since the pandemic began and last years disaster was entirely due to the pandemic. (I took my last delivery from them on 15 December, that order was cut in June.) All year long they operated at less than half capacity and I can’t blame them for any of the delays. This year the Italians doing much better but our friends the Chinese are outbidding them for containers aboard the ships and the new issue is just that. I’m told that shipments may wait weeks or months on the dock for a vessel. No one seems to have a clear idea of how long the wait may be nor what the freight costs will be. Higher, no doubt. How much higher and how this will affect firearms prices and availability is open for discussion.

The "last time" was prior to the pandemic. Northern Italy has been hit hard with Covid and the new anecdotal info is that both Uberti and Pietta will resume production in April. I am not holding my breath. That is why no dealers have any inventory from them, and that is why revolvers on the used market are commanding a premium. As has been pointed out previously, supply and demand. I just won at auction a Navy Arms/Pietta Spiller & Burr (BL/1998) for $355. Pre-pandemic these guns were plentiful and available for less than $275. There are none available from any dealers these days.

If you want revolvers these days, you will have to pay the current going prices.

Imagine what it would be like if both Uberti and Pietta went under. What would your inventory be worth?

A brand new replica revolver collecting world.

Regards,

Jim
Imagine an entrepreneurial group of people beginning to manufacture blackpowder pistols on American soil... maybe in a friendly place like South Dakota, Florida, Wyoming or Texas? Maybe a line of authentic revolvers and even DA revolvers meant for carry and use in gun unfriendly regions like California or elsewhere?

If a person or group of investors decided to open a state side percussion hand gun operation what in your opinion would be the best selling, least risky , initial model and what would be the pricing single shot or revolver ?

Never happen. American regulatory and labor costs, health care, sex changes for illegal aliems on death row, etc etc etc are prohibitively expensive. People might pay $250 for a reproduction cap and ball revolver, but they won't pay $1250. Add to that the uncertainty (or certainty) in the current political climate with a decidedly anti-firearms bias, fuggedabout it.

The most popular model revolvers are already made by Uberti & Pietta. Any competition would have to offer lower prices at the same quality or settle for a much smaller market by having higher quality - perhaps there is a reason that Colt quit making the 2nd generation models. A smaller but perhaps lesser served market would be single shot percussions made in the most popular rifle calibers (.45, .50 & .54) but I would not expect strong sales. Personally I wish someone made a good Whitney Navy (at Uberti prices).

The most popular model revolvers are already made by Uberti & Pietta. Any competition would have to offer lower prices at the same quality or settle for a much smaller market by having higher quality - perhaps there is a reason that Colt quit making the 2nd generation models. A smaller but perhaps lesser served market would be single shot percussions made in the most popular rifle calibers (.45, .50 & .54) but I would not expect strong sales. Personally I wish someone made a good Whitney Navy (at Uberti prices).

Colt's resurrected percussion revolvers were "made" by Uberti

Colt's resurrected percussion revolvers were "made" by Uberti
As I've pointed out more than a few times, Uberti did not machine any of the Colt 2nd generation or 3rd generation pistol parts.

Uberti supplied the raw castings for the gun's but that is all they did.

The raw castings for the 2nd generation pistols were totally machined in the United States by the company that became known as the Colt Blackpowder Arms Company and assembled and finished by Colt in Hartford, Ct.
The raw castings for the 3rd generation Signature pistols were totally machined in the United States and assembled and finished by Colt Blackpowder Arms Company. This company used Colt inspectors to inspect all of the parts, the assembly and finishing of the guns.

all my friends tell me "sell your guns!" My response is "what to I do with the money, Buy more guns?"
Beside i am having too much fun shooting them...often and a lot.
A Smith carbine is hot on the to-do list now.
That will start a new topic
Bunk

Back