• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First T/C Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just purchased a used T/C Hawken in .54 cal. From a local pawn shop for $120! After a good long cleaning session. I got the bore looking nice and buffed out some surface rust with steel wool and some hops #9. Stock is in pretty good shape going to refurbish it later. Just stocked up on supplies since I'm new to muzzleloaders. Got .530 rbs and .015 patches number #11 caps and 1lb of pyrodex fffg...where should I start these loads out at? What range should I start out at?

I would try a .014 to .018 patch, lube can be anything but a petro base. Spit, olive oil, I like pure neatsfoot oil, Crisco, ect.

I would start with a 60 grain powder load.

Because you don't know what range it is sighted in for, you might start at 25 yards, shooting with your elbows resting on a bench for accuracy.

Changing powder loads at 25 yards won't have much effect on the shots unless the group is very large.
You are looking for the tightness of the group and its location.
If the group is large, this is the time to start trying to figure out why. It could be the patch thickness, the lube or loose sights.
You should be able to shoot a 1 1/2" group or smaller at 25 yards.

If things are looking good, move the target to 50 yards and start shooting at that distance.

50 yards will show the effects of changing powder loads so after shooting some 60 grain powder loads start changing the load by 5 grain amounts... 65 grains.....70 grains....

I've found most of my .54's like 70 grains. :)

Back