• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You did a good job on that! I love my Cherry stocked Kibler colonial smoothbore. 58. I will suggest you try 85grains of 3F 45 grains of corn meal a thin shot card then a .008 patch with a .562 ball. This combo produced my best 45 yard group to date.
Saw those groups on your thread and keep meaning to pick up some corn meal to experiment with. While I did order a mess of modern shot cards and such ideally, I want to come up with readily available local items that work well. If it's stuff I can make myself that's even better.

So what does the corn meal actually do?
The corn meal provides a buffer between the powder and the ball or shot charge. The corn meal will compress slightly on ignition of the powder and seal the bore. This layer of buffering material will minimize the gas blowby and allow the patch to keep the ball centered in the bore. In the case of a shot load, the granulated buffering material will instantly drop off as the charge leaves the barrel while slowing the expansion of gas from the ignition charge from blowing through the shot and opening up the pattern.

You did a good job on that! I love my Cherry stocked Kibler colonial smoothbore. 58. I will suggest you try 85grains of 3F 45 grains of corn meal a thin shot card then a .008 patch with a .562 ball. This combo produced my best 45 yard group to date.
I meant to ask you the first time you posted this. Are you tamping before loading your ball?

It made a big difference in group size. I have tested it several time and it has shrunk the groups constantly.

Attachments

• 20230124_122158.jpg
    20230124_122158.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230124_131508.jpg
    20230124_131508.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
It made a big difference in group size. I have tested it several time and it has shrunk the groups constantly.
What else have you tried as an over powder filler, in particular what flat out didn't work? I've got felt, tow, actual wads, saw dust, wasp nest, an endless supply of dry grass, and some other stuff. I know I'll just have to try things till I find what works with my rifle and loads. However, anything I can dismiss beforehand will save valuable and limited time.

Commercial wads or precut do make the best seal. Black Powder TV found an almost two hundred fps lost using tow. I’ve not tried the corn meal, will some day, but I’ve not had any trouble with tow, and often put it under a PRB

Wasp nest is good , felt wads if they fit snug , corn meal , cream of wheat. I tried just tow is was not so good just by itself tow and any of the above works. If your patches burn a wad of tow or any I mentioned work wonders.

The only criticism I might offer is that entire system is wrong handed. Then again I realize you wrong handed folk have no ability to correct this issue from a young age... 😆

Beautiful smoothbore, I'm sure you will get your loads down with ball, buck, shot or buck and ball in no time to your liking. I can think of a whole lot of other things that I would rather not occupy my time with than what you are doing.

I can’t count the number of times I configured a Kibler Colonial ja lot like this (No patch box, walnut, 58 smooth) before they announced the Fowler. I was patiently waiting on the fowler When the Woodsrunner “took the place“ of the fowler in the production schedule. I ordered the Woodsrunner as it looked to be what I wanted in a rifle. It has proven to be so!

Still wanting a smooth bore I have put my name on a builder’s schedule for a “type G” and because I anticipate being done with my caplock build by May I also odered a Petaconica Trade Gun kit. I guess my patience waiting for the Kibler fowler didn’t last!
My situation as well. My Woodsrunner will be here in a week or two, and that should occupy me for a while, but if we don’t hear some solid news about the Kibler fowler soon I will be ordering a smooth 58 Colonial.

Finally popped a few shots out of it. Have a few things to work on but overall I'm pleased. Need to change the flint holder or placement so it strikes the frizzen a tad better. Need thinner patch material to try PRB. Have a massive flinch to overcome. Not bad though for being so windy my fingers got numb after the first 2 shots. This is a .575 loose ball over one dry and one lubed felt wad with a cardboard wad over the ball and 100gr 2f. Got the windage close enough I can now work on shot loads next time.

Attachments​

Last edited:
I meant to ask you the first time you posted this. Are you tamping before loading your ball?
Where are you getting patches that thin from? Been checking sites I buy from and .016 to .018 are all that I can find. I have both and they are way too thick.

Oops, quoted wrong post. Was supposed to be @Ballshooter comment on using .008 patching material.

Last edited:
Get some Muslin fabric. 008 and try that for PRB loads, Works really well with a thin felt wad or thin card aka Ritz cracker box get a 15mm punch and make your own felt or shot cards. I get my felt on Amazon F-26 Industrial Felt.

Last edited:
Get some Muslin fabric. 008 and try that for PRB loads, Works really well with a thin felt wad or thin card aka Ritz cracker box get a 15mm punch and make your own felt or shot cards. I get my felt on Amazon F-26 Industrial Felt.
That my good sir is exactly how I do things. Except for the powder everything I used today I made myself out of sourced bulk materials. Thanks for the reply.

Back