• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First shots in Hoyt rebore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
The weather and life in general finally came together allowing an opportunity to visit the range with my vintage 1974 Tc Hawken with it's original 50 barrel now rebored to 54 by mr Hoyt.

The only thing I did to the barrel before shooting was to polish the bore a bit with a few tight patches coated with JB bore paste in case there were any fine edges that needed smoothing. I'm pretty sure the polishing was unnecessary but I did it anyway. Afterward I cleaned it just as I would after shooting.

All the shots were at 25 yards from a solid bench.

I started off with cast 530 balls (which drop at 533 from a Lee mold), 70 grains of Scheutzen 3f and a Joanne's drill patch. I'm not big on measuring patch material but it is a way to compare and communicate. The drill measures .017. It was not a loose fit but also far from tight. Here's the target with that load. The shot well out of the group was an uncalled flyer. Maybe because the fit was not tight enough. It looks like a 4shot group but there are actually five shots in there. I was able to pick up three of the patches. One of them was frayed into the area of patch, ball and bore contact. That may have been the uncalled flyer. Could also have been an off weight ball. I didn't weigh any of the balls but should have.

20200307_124710_copy_800x600.jpg

The next group was shot with 80 grains and a tough duck patch that measures .022. It was noticeably tighter but not unpleasant to load. The target below is 6 shots. I fired the extra shot because the lowest shot is excluded because I fidgeted while settling the sight picture and touched the set trigger. I'm surprised it wasn't further out!

20200307_124716_copy_800x600.jpg

Found three of the patches and they are in fine shape. I'm going to do some more fiddling with the charge but given that the 70 and 80 grain charges are suitable for hunting.

I'm quite happy with the results, given that my old trifocal supported eyes have a tough time forming a sight picture.

The .022 patches held up very well.

20200307_130008_copy_600x800.jpg

Risking a bit of thread crossover, those patches were cut at the muzzle. Aren't they remarkably round? :cool:

Well, I tossed them so flattening them is out of the question. And, square is fine with me. I've sent countless precut square patches down range.

I'm not fully satisfied with my accuracy with this outing but the majority of improvement is for sure the responsibility of the shooter. :)

I'm thrilled that one of my favorite rifles is now elk legal with a ball and I and the rifle are elk capable out to 50 yards.

Back