• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First shots from Hawken this year.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I shot my Investarms .50 Hawken for the first time this year. I got my best group ever at 50 yards using 55 grs. of Olde Eynsford 3F and .018" ticking patch for the first time. I put a little extra Precision Lube 2000 on each patch. Hornady .490 balls. And I ran a cleaning patch between each shot. Forearm was on a rest.
Hawken Group May 22.jpg
Hawken rifle at Logan.jpg

I've got the same rifle, worked on a new deer load and getting used to my new peep site earlier this year. The barrel on my Hawken .50 is a bit oversize, found 80 grains Pyrodex RS (FFg equivalent) with a wonderwad under a .490 roundball with a .020" lubed patch gave me a 2" group at 50 yards. I had to swab the barrel every 3 shots to keep consistent. It amazes me how accurate these rifles are once you find the right load. Good luck!

Forgot to mention .490 round ball and a standard ox yoke .10 pre-lubed patch. I'm going to play with the patch this summer. Might try pillow ticking (guess that is around .14-.16) but my bore is tight. I tend to wipe the barrel after 2 shots. Besides, when hunting the shot comes from a clean bore.

tc45dave, what part of Ohio are you located? I'm originally from Xenia, have a cousin there that shoots flintlocks.
In the Columbus area. I visited one of the Indiana NMLRA events in 2019. I shot my first Kentucky Long Rifle when I was about 17. Just recently took up shooting muzzleloaders with my Hawkens.

My cousin goes to the Indiana meet and competes with a flintlock. I went shooting with him once at his house and he hit a Dum-Dum sucker free standing at 35 yards.....I can't compete with that...he! he!

Back