• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First shots from Hawken this year.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tc45dave

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I shot my Investarms .50 Hawken for the first time this year. I got my best group ever at 50 yards using 55 grs. of Olde Eynsford 3F and .018" ticking patch for the first time. I put a little extra Precision Lube 2000 on each patch. Hornady .490 balls. And I ran a cleaning patch between each shot. Forearm was on a rest.
Hawken Group May 22.jpg
Hawken rifle at Logan.jpg

I've got the same rifle, worked on a new deer load and getting used to my new peep site earlier this year. The barrel on my Hawken .50 is a bit oversize, found 80 grains Pyrodex RS (FFg equivalent) with a wonderwad under a .490 roundball with a .020" lubed patch gave me a 2" group at 50 yards. I had to swab the barrel every 3 shots to keep consistent. It amazes me how accurate these rifles are once you find the right load. Good luck!

Forgot to mention .490 round ball and a standard ox yoke .10 pre-lubed patch. I'm going to play with the patch this summer. Might try pillow ticking (guess that is around .14-.16) but my bore is tight. I tend to wipe the barrel after 2 shots. Besides, when hunting the shot comes from a clean bore.

I will try 60 and 65 grs of Olde Eynsford tomorrow at the range. Supposed to sunny and 71.

tc45dave, what part of Ohio are you located? I'm originally from Xenia, have a cousin there that shoots flintlocks.
In the Columbus area. I visited one of the Indiana NMLRA events in 2019. I shot my first Kentucky Long Rifle when I was about 17. Just recently took up shooting muzzleloaders with my Hawkens.

My cousin goes to the Indiana meet and competes with a flintlock. I went shooting with him once at his house and he hit a Dum-Dum sucker free standing at 35 yards.....I can't compete with that...he! he!

Back