• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylecdennis

32 Cal
Reaction score
First of all I am still fairly new. When I go to the range to shoot my percussion rifles they don’t fire the first couple attempts. I take the nipple out make sure it’s clear. Try this a couple times and occasionally I have to put some powder under the nipple. Seems like once they finally fire the first time I have no problems after that. Occasionally a delay but does fire. Using Pyrodex and cci 11s Thanks guys

What make of rifle? Pore a bit of solvent like lacquer thinner or alcohol in the bore then dry patch it so it comes out the nipple. Be sure to dry it out well then pop two caps. Then load and you will be fine. Pyrodex is harder to light then black powder so if you can get some that will help a lot.

Just get your storage oil out of the bore/flash channel and it'll be fine. Run a couple of dry patches through it then pop a couple of caps and it should be good to go. You can run some alcohol down but I don't usually bother anymore.

I went for a little hunt tonight, couple of dry patches then loaded up and into the hunt. Ended up firing it off at the end of the hunt for instant ignition 👍

Like goodrabbit, I use two dry patches in the bore followed by firing two caps and then a dry patch. I use CCI# 11 magnum caps with Pyrodex RS or Black MZ as regular caps have produced fail to fire and hang fires. Best regards.

First of all I am still fairly new. When I go to the range to shoot my percussion rifles they don’t fire the first couple attempts. I take the nipple out make sure it’s clear. Try this a couple times and occasionally I have to put some powder under the nipple. Seems like once they finally fire the first time I have no problems after that. Occasionally a delay but does fire. Using Pyrodex and cci 11s Thanks guys
I have a few thoughts and some agreements with earlier posts.

@GoodRabbitPilgrim is probably correct when he speculates that there is a lot of oil left in the chambered breech after cleaning. If you are liberally oiling the barrel after cleaning, and storing the rifle muzzle up, then the oil is draining to the breech and pooling up and filling the breech. Your first few shots are attempting to clean the breech of the accumulated oil. So do as @Phil Coffins suggests and pour some rubbing alcohol in the bore to dissolve the oil and clean out the flash channel. Then run a pipe cleaner from the nipple seat to the firing chamber. Of course it will also help to store the rifle muzzle down after cleaning to allow the oil to drain away from the breech.

Now I come to the Pyrodex issue. Pyrodex requires a much hotter ignition temperature to fire. The obvious symptom is the frequent hang fires or delays. The simplest recommendation is to switch to real black powder. However that is not always the easiest solution especially since the GOEX plant is shutting down. Pyrodex or Triple Seven may be your reasonable choice. The alternative solution is to get a nipple designed for igniting Pyrodex. This would be a Hot Shot Nipple, Red Hot or Spitfire Nipple. When one of these improved nipples is combined with a CCI Magnum or RWS 1075 Plus cap you will have far fewer hang fires. Magnum caps may be hard to find in your Local Gun Store (LGS).

Sound s to me like oil residue in the breech. I always store my rifles with the muzzle lower than the breech to prevent oil from running into the breech.

Thanks guys. I think it is a combination of everything you guys mentioned. Cleaning techniques, pyrodex and cci 11s. I do have a nipple designed for the magnum caps but I have not been able to find those magnum caps . Any suggestions on where I could find the magnum caps. Thanks again to everyone who replied.

Even the slightest residue of oil will ruin the shot and possibly following shots. It must get vaporised in am instant and quench the flame.
I don't use oil after cleaning.

Sounds to me like oil in the breech from previous cleaning. I run a patch or two with plain old rubbing alcohol, leave the Jack Daniels at home, to dissolve any oil accumulation before my first fouling shot. Alcohol evaporates but I still run a dry patch then pop a cap.

There are many good replies here, but I will lend my 2 cents. Make sure you have as much of the oil out of the barrel as you can and touch off a couple caps before loading. Lastly, resign yourself to the fact that the first shot might be a throwaway.

You can get Hot Shot nipples from Track of the Wolf and they are not that expensive. They put more spark through the flash chamber to the powder. They were designed to improve Pyrodex ignition (with standard caps), since it has a higher ignition temp compared to Black Powder, and I think Triple 7 has a higher ignition temp than Pryodex, but it works for both. A standard Black Powder nipple doesn't put as much spark through the flash channel and Black Powder ignition doesn't need as much to set it off. You don't mention what rifle you have, there are 3 thread sizes for these nipples 1/4-28, 6-1mm, and 6-0.75mm. Depending who made your rifle will depend on what threading you will need. Track of the Wolf shows the manufacturers for each of the treading. I use them on all my Caplocks no matter what powder I use. Hunting I want to minimize any possibilities (there is no guarantee with Black Powder) that my rifle won't go BANG when the opportunity for the shot occurs. DANNY

What make of rifle? Pore a bit of solvent like lacquer thinner or alcohol in the bore then dry patch it so it comes out the nipple. Be sure to dry it out well then pop two caps. Then load and you will be fine. Pyrodex is harder to light then black powder so if you can get some that will help a lot.

GOOD Advice!

ALONG with this is probably something we both also do, but a new guy won't know.

Lacquer thinner especially or alcohol sometimes will ruin a stock finish, when doing this. However, if one puts the butt of stock on the ground, nipple DOWN and only raises the muzzle to no more than at most 45 degrees when pouring either solvent in the bore; the solvent that comes out - won't touch and ruin the stock finish.

Gus

I actually have the nipple for the gun but where do I find the magnum caps. I have a TC WMC. Also have Invest Arms Hawken. I have the nipple file each gun bought at Track of the Wolf Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful

Back