First Shot Throwing Wild?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Art Caputo

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with previous comments that your first shot accuracy is well beyond what you should expect. My four regular shooters run under 2” at 50 yards, first shot from a clean bore. My ritual with all these rifles is to swab any residual lube from the barrel with a patch soaked with Isopropyl Alcohol(70-90%), wipe dry, load. I have found the best results using TOTW Mink Oil lubing one side of the patch(facing the bore) just prior to loading. Consistent/light seating pressure is important. I personally did not get good consistency using bore butter as a patch lube.

arjay

32 Cal
Reaction score
Many times a first shot will have a slight hang fire due to oil residue in the breech. Not enough to notice, but enough to affect accuracy.
Ohio might be on to something. I always pop a cap before loading to make sure the channel is clear. If the OP's first shots have no obvious pattern this might be a contributing factor.

BS

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok, barrel has been cleaned and dried, cap fired.

Try 20 grains more powder on the first shot, or just 10 more, I like 20, may not see a 10 grain difference. [first shot only]

If that doesn't work, try less powder on the first shot.

Just a thought.

dkasprzak

32 Cal
Reaction score
@N.Y. Yankee I currently hunt with and had the same problem in a TC .50 while using Bore Butter for lube. After changing to a thicker patch and then lastly to TOW Mink Oil, I’m now accurate on the first shot. When applying the Mink Oil to the patch I only apply it to the barrel side of the patch. In preparation of the first shot, I use my Moose Milk mixture to clean the barrel of any residual oil and then wipe with a dry patch (or two). I suggest changing ONLY one thing at a time, starting with the lube. Good Luck…let us know how you progress.

Okie Hog

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Try a different patch lube. Only good use i've found for Bore Butter is melting with beeswax for lubing conicals. Mink Oil is a good patch lube as is Go Jo hand cleaner (the stuff without grit). Frontier's lube is excellent.

If the rifle is to be fired in a few weeks i often pass on an oily patch. In the event the bore was oiled, i swab with a patch wet with acetone or alcohol, followed by a dry patch.

BS

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Try a .535 ball for the first shot, or a thicker patch with the .530.[first shot]

Apollo55

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have used bore butter for years, no problems. As far as wild first shot, I have never had that. Before I scrap the bore butter I would have somebody else try the first shot. Maybe it's not the lube on the patch! And really Windex for patch lube!! Just what I want to do put chemicals in to the mix. I shoot T/C 50 cal. Harlem cap, 50 cal Lyman great plains flintlock, and 50 cal. Traditions Kentucky rifle. Used Crisco for patch lube till I discovered Bore Butter