• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First shot from a clean barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluejack

32 Cal
Reaction score
Why is the first shot from my SMR-45cal. flint always 6" low and 6" left ? The following shots are dead on center. barrel is always clean when first shot is fired.

I do a few things to get first shot, clean bore accuracy. Generally in this order.
- When loading first shot from a clean barrel, be sure all lubricant is removed with alcohol.
-Change patch and/or ball size.
-Change patch lube
-Use a thicker patch for first shot.
-If all else fails, use a hold correction for the first shot. For hunting; Adjust sight for first shot and correct for subsequent shots.

One of my rifles seems to always hit high and right on the first shot from a clean barrel. Fouling the barrel prior to loading can eliminate the off shot.
IDK why it happens in the first place. One of life's greatest mysteries.

After you clean your barrel when done shooting , what do you lube the barrel with. Some of the spray lubes on the market , when they dry , sometimes causing a teflon like coating that is so slick , it will throw the rifle's group off until a shot or two burns the stuff out of the bore. This has happened to me before in the 1980's , and it took a conversation with a professional US Army sniper to clear the problem up. Years back a lot of match shooters would fire a fouling shot before the match began to clear the same problem. There are guys on the forum who might know the offending spray lubes to avoid. I simply do a couple patches with plenty alcohol before going to the range. OOPs,Don't want to mislead you , I don't drink anymore, not that kind plenty alcohol..................oldwood

My 54 does this, I use a tight ball and patch.

After loading, I slather the bore with Wonder Lube. It works on this one, but may not work for you.

A fouling shot is common practice among many shooters. None of my rifles suffer from the phenomenon discussed by the OP, but it does seem to exist.

The first thing I would do is try a thicker patch for your first shot. I believe it was Ned Roberts who shimmed his patches with cigarette papers to determine the optimum patch thickness. I solved the exact same problem with one thickness of heavy garbage bag,between the ball and patch. It put my first shot right in the group with the non shimmed shots. This worked for me, like all things muzzleloader, your results may be different. Another thing to consider, going to a thicker patch for all your shots, it might even improve your over all accuracy. One thing for sure, shooting a fowling shot and then hunting with a dirty gun is unacceptable to me.

I allway's think first shots tend to go high from the clean bore. Old wood is right to use the alcohol to clean out sitting oils but we all agree every rifles different . All part of the great mystery & allurement of ML shooting .
Rudyard

Why is the first shot from my SMR-45cal. flint always 6" low and 6" left ? The following shots are dead on center. barrel is always clean when first shot is fired.
Thanks,Guys, I`ll try the thicker patch on the first shot and see if it helps, I sure don`t want a fouling shot out the backdoor before I go hunting!

I have found my best results with bore accuracy starting with a de-greased bore, using Mink Oil(TOTW) on the bore surface side of the patch only .....no swabbing;

I have a CVA 58cal Mountain rifle that generally shoots about a foot low at 100 yds and may go left or right for the first 2-3 shots then it comes right after that. Bug`s the hell out of me to the point I don`t use it hunting as you just cannot predict when it will start shooting well. Had it out shooting yesterday off a rest and after 3 shots it settled into about a 5 inch group at 100 yds, that I can accept but the flinging them like an old lady throwing poo for the first few shots is driving me to distraction.
How did the old timers get on. Did they just keep a dirty barrel?

My main deer rifle is a .54 with a Colrain barrel. The first shot is always in the center of the group.
My turkey, small game, and regular shooter is a .40 with a Rice barrel. It too always shoots to the center of the group.
Little things add up. Before a hunt or shoot I completely clean the inside of the barrel with alcohol. I also clean any excess inside the lock.
I hunt with the same bullet and load I sighted in with. No exceptions.
I use the same patching material also.
It 's not rocket science but many struggle to get it right.

I have a CVA 58cal Mountain rifle that generally shoots about a foot low at 100 yds and may go left or right for the first 2-3 shots then it comes right after that. Bug`s the hell out of me to the point I don`t use it hunting as you just cannot predict when it will start shooting well. Had it out shooting yesterday off a rest and after 3 shots it settled into about a 5 inch group at 100 yds, that I can accept but the flinging them like an old lady throwing poo for the first few shots is driving me to distraction.
How did the old timers get on. Did they just keep a dirty barrel?
Good you come right at least. Re old timers I expect they got close and followed the" anywhere in the eye' rule or just hoped for the best and if they missed uttered 'Oh Bother' ',Stuff & fluff' or similar expletives of like kind . If its any consolation this is not an uncommon phenomena I get it often if not always the' comes right' part .
Cheers Rudyard

As long as I don't fire a shot at game I don't want the bore fouled at all. The first shot from any of my guns lands in a group formed by other shots from the fouled bore. This may be due to the fact that I use tight prb loads, I don't know. It may just be that some barrels have a mind of their own.

I shoot for the middle of the animal. I also don't shoot more than about 60yds. So, it doesn't matter very much. Personally, I wouldn't walk around with a dirty barrel or pan.

I can go to a match, and my first shot is right where it should be, with no difference in the following shots. I keep my barrels with a good coating of bore butter, and just run a couple dry patches through the bore before loading. I use a wet lube on the patch and see no differences between shots. I do use a fairly tight ball/patch combo, so maybe that makes a difference.

Back