• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First shot at a deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendjoseph

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Jumped a buck and two does. Took my first shot with a muzzle at one of the does running. I was impressed with my ability to miss game with yet another gun! :rotf:

Last friday, I watched four does come down the hillside next to me. These were the first deer I've seen in two plus years in my hunting area. I lined up the shot on the largest doe, pulled the trigger and watched the flash in the pan instead of paying attention to the sights. It happens.

"Been there...done that." This season, I missed a shot at a doe and I'm still trying to figure out how I managed to do it!

Totally amazed, after all the years reading here about the number of "tack drivers" claimed and now the number of deer missed this year, what has happened?

Running shots are tough since it's not just the speed to match but the up and down jumping while running as well.

I'll shoot at trotting deer, but if a deer is really on an all-out run I just watch and congratulate them on outsmarting me once again. :grin:

A 7 pt at 40 yds. standing still, pan flash, barrel drop, shot goes under the deer. Best chance I had for a good buck this year. :idunno:

In my ground blind a few days ago I fired at a doe not more than 50 yards away. I fired, the deer ran and I followed. No blood, nothing. It was then I noticed a sapling with a fresh, hemispherical gouge that a .490" ball fit in perfectly. It was only a few feet in front of the deer. So I missed and she got a big surprise.

I can miss in four languages.

I remember my first attempt at a running deer with a flinter! :grin:

I was a pusher about 20 years ago on an old fashioned deer drive here in PA.....I had a line of 13 deer come squirting out the side of the drive right at me. The whole line passed by doing mach 3 at about 15 yards.
I picked the last big doe to finally crack one off......I probably should have aimed at the 2nd to last one if I wanted to hit the last one. :doh: :surrender:
It was so bad I actually laughed out loud!

Oh I've got much better since.... :wink:

Hunting with a flinter will teach you a lot about lead and follow through. I grouse hunt with a flintlock fowler - it can occasionally be done!

I usually pass on running deer unless I am very close (under 25 yards); flint or percussion or centerfire. In our woods the game jinks too much to weave through cover and usually a tree hops right in the line of fire at the wrong instant.

I did once make a DRT shot on a running doe at 20 yards with a .62 flintlock fowler. Lead? You bet.

Richard Eames said:
Totally amazed, after all the years reading here about the number of "tack drivers" claimed and now the number of deer missed this year, what has happened?
I suspect there are a lot of wounded deer running off.

Spence

I shot at one doe maybe 15yds a couple years ago and missed her,,, with me I think I lifted my head to see when I should of held the blade on there,, it be alot easier if I didn't have what feels like a 10lb trigger pull and a 14 1/2" stock when I need a 13 1/2" stock--> those are my excuses :grin:

Latest posts

Back