• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First purchase

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Michlig

Pilgrim
Reaction score
currently deciding between 3 muzzleloaders but not closed minded to other suggestions. Looking to hunt deer to 200 yards

TC prohunter
Remington ultimate
CVA Paramount

Thanks for any advise you can give.

Sorry sir, but this site is exclusive to traditional muzzleloaders only. Modern muzzleguns are not discussed. There are other sites out there who should be able to assist.

You need to go to this site’s sister-site Modern Muzzleloader to ask your questions as inlines are verboten here.

currently deciding between 3 muzzleloaders but not closed minded to other suggestions. Looking to hunt deer to 200 yards

TC prohunter
Remington ultimate
CVA Paramount

Thanks for any advise you can give.

Are you stuck on modern styles? There’s a tremendous number of exceptional sidekicks available that, to me, have more character.

Hog and Gren are both correct. However...let us be gentle. It is true, if 200 yard shots are really desired, traditional muzzle loaders are probably not for you. It's more about the hunt, although we are all bull-goose looney about shooting our rifles.

Making 200 yard shots with open sights requires exact range estimation. (and if you are thinking scope, for sure in the wrong place!) Something like 90% of people cannot estimate range accurately out to 200. Most of the hype surrounding modern muzzle-loaders about shooting out to 200 is just that.

Now, if one is still dead set on getting the most range possible, the civil ware era rifles are probably the best bet, (my choice would be a 1861 Springfield)(or a Whitworth Volunteer rifle?)($$$$$) but they are difficult to get to shoot well with hunting loads. And again, there is a lot of trajectory involved, you would really want some leaf sights graduated at 100, 125, 150, 175 and 200 yards. I suppose you could use a range finder to choose the right one, but few people can judge the difference between 175 and 200 in rolling terrain. A range finder would almost be mandatory. Or would be.

But having said that, I can't imagine someone inexperienced with muzzle loaders in general, and minne' rifles specifically, being able to get one to shoot accurately out to 200 yards with hunting loads. The rifles are capable, but it would require much expertise, and much load development. And again, you don't know if that animal is at 174 yards, or 230. Even if you estimate is right on at 200, are you going to be able to go prone, and spend a minute getting your breathing and heart rate right, get your pack in position for a rest, think about the wind and mirage? Is there a bright sun shining on your sights from the left or right? That would be a tough shot even from a sitting position, and certainly unethical from kneeling or standing.

The bottom line maybe being that muzzle loading hunting is a 100-125 yard game, regardless of claims by the people that make modern ML's. Open sights and correct range estimation are both serious limits. And, Civil war era/types of rifles are usually fairly heavy and most modern hunters want super light rifles.

And, despite the claims, the "modern" ML's are not 200 yard rifles either, unless they are scoped, and shot on a rifle range from the bench.

Experiment: Forgive me if I am underestimating you shooting abilities. Take an open sighted .30-30, .30-06, or whatever, put a paper plate out at a measured 200 yards, and see how long it takes you to hit it, or keep all your shots on it. Then think about doing it with a rifle that has much more trajectory, at a similar range that is estimated. It's an eye opener for sure. Again, my apologies if you are that good of a shot.

Back