• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First PLR Project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkil

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello everyone! New guy from Ohio who has had the BP bug for 50 years. Built a T/C Hawkin percussion kit in the 70's and now finally have the time for a bigger challenge, a flint PLR built from scratch, probably a .45 Lancaster. I have read "The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle" and am ready to go. I live fairly close to the Log Cabin Sport Shop where plans and pieces parts are available, but would appreciate some perspective from folks more experienced than me on a couple initial items. Specifically:
1. I would prefer to look at stock blanks in person before buying, if possible. Are there any sources for curly maple blanks in the Ohio / western PA area? Or does anyone have a favorite supplier anywhere?
2. I would like a high quality / reliable pre-made lock. What would be a preferred manufacturer?
3. Same with the barrel. Accuracy is important. I anticipate using a patched ball. A number of suppliers out there; is there a favorite?

Any other input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

I don’t know what a “PLR” is but Kibler makes the best flint lock in two styles and any of the current barrel makers are first rate. Green Mountain, Rice, and others.

I am assuming PLR means Pennsylvania Long Rifle. Dunlap woods is a good source for wood but there are many. I would only go with a Chambers or Jim Kibler lock. Barrels I don't think you can go wrong with most of todays makers. If you want to go from scratch the Kibler kits are out. Just my opinions. Good luck.

Dave

I'm in northcentral PA and have a handful of really nice curly maple stocks (not to mention some straight cherry and walnut, as well as curly cherry) if you were inclined to look and knew you would be in this area.

Hi,
First, what kind of Lancaster rifle? Colonial and Rev War period, post Rev War "Golden Age", late flintlock era? I can only recommend Chambers, Kibler, and Laubach's locks. The best Germanic style lock made today is Chris Laubach's. Jim Kibler offers a round-faced English lock and a late flint period English lock. Jim Chambers offers several Germanic and English styled locks that are all excellent. I don't use any other commercially made locks unless I have to because of the style needed. They require a lot of work to bring up to my standards. I cannot help you with local sources of wood. I buy many stocks from Dunlap and all were very good. With respect to barrels, all of the major makers provide excellent barrels with respect to shooting quality. Colerain barrels are excellent shooters but the out side of their barrels needs a lot of filing to finish. Green Mountain barrels are also very good shooters but they no longer offer swamped barrels, which I greatly prefer. However, Jim Kibler is now machining Green Mountain barrel blanks into swamped profiles for his kits and will be selling them individually. Rice offers excellent barrels finely finished inside and out and in many great profiles. The smaller makers such as Rayl and Burton also make fine barrels. I do not recommend Getz barrels. Some are good shooters for sure but I've owned 3 that were terrible and needed to be lapped extensively before they performed at all well.

dave

I'm not an experienced builder but from the research I have done it seems that a person cant go much wrong with a Dunlap stock, chambers lock, and rice barrel. To be honest I've never heard anything real bad about any of the common barrel makers.

I don’t know what a “PLR” is but Kibler makes the best flint lock in two styles and any of the current barrel makers are first rate. Green Mountain, Rice, and others.
Thanks Phil, very helpful! Used to work at a research lab - PLR is Pennsylvania Long Rifle

I am assuming PLR means Pennsylvania Long Rifle. Dunlap woods is a good source for wood but there are many. I would only go with a Chambers or Jim Kibler lock. Barrels I don't think you can go wrong with most of todays makers. If you want to go from scratch the Kibler kits are out. Just my opinions. Good luck.

Dave
Yes - And thanks!

Hi,
First, what kind of Lancaster rifle? Colonial and Rev War period, post Rev War "Golden Age", late flintlock era? I can only recommend Chambers, Kibler, and Laubach's locks. The best Germanic style lock made today is Chris Laubach's. Jim Kibler offers a round-faced English lock and a late flint period English lock. Jim Chambers offers several Germanic and English styled locks that are all excellent. I don't use any other commercially made locks unless I have to because of the style needed. They require a lot of work to bring up to my standards. I cannot help you with local sources of wood. I buy many stocks from Dunlap and all were very good. With respect to barrels, all of the major makers provide excellent barrels with respect to shooting quality. Colerain barrels are excellent shooters but the out side of their barrels needs a lot of filing to finish. Green Mountain barrels are also very good shooters but they no longer offer swamped barrels, which I greatly prefer. However, Jim Kibler is now machining Green Mountain barrel blanks into swamped profiles for his kits and will be selling them individually. Rice offers excellent barrels finely finished inside and out and in many great profiles. The smaller makers such as Rayl and Burton also make fine barrels. I do not recommend Getz barrels. Some are good shooters for sure but I've owned 3 that were terrible and needed to be lapped extensively before they performed at all well.

dave
Thanks Dave! Haven't picked a maker / style yet (extensive choices), need to peruse available plans for the first one, but it will likely be Golden Age. Right there with you on attention to detail, but for the first one I may focus more on completing a "close, and nice looking" piece. Your leads on swamped barrel suppliers is much appreciated!

I'm not an experienced builder but from the research I have done it seems that a person cant go much wrong with a Dunlap stock, chambers lock, and rice barrel. To be honest I've never heard anything real bad about any of the common barrel makers.
Thanks!

Back