• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First outing with the Pedersoli/Lyman GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daveboone

45 Cal.
Reaction score
My wife kindly gifted my the above mentioned rifle for my 60th birthday...my first flinter, but I have had a Lyman GPR percussion for twenty years that I am quite proficient with, and have been trying to do my homework. I kept both in 54 caliber for consistency and supply ease.
I happily had the range to myself yesterday, and set up targets at 25 and fifty yards. I was going to start at 50 grains of FFF with the flinter, but my measure started at 70, so I figured I may as well start with my standard load of 80 that I shoot in the percussion. (.530 with a .015 patch). I use Bore butter on the patch, and swab between with Hoppes BP. First shot at 25 was an inch high centered! And it went off! Okay!
I moved out to fifty yards, well, the next three shots grouped at 2:00 four inches out and the same high, so I adjusted the sights over...I very much appreciate the nice set screw on the rear sight...much superior to the stock site on the older Lyman GPR. where with another jimmy or two to the sights I was able to quite quickly get a nicely centered group but still high. Unfortunately, the rear ramp wont go down any further, and most of my hunting is quite close, so the high shots are no good, so dropped the load to 70 grains. That worked to bring it down to about two inches above point of aim.
I got ten shots in and quickly learned alot. Just a bit of taping on the flint to resharpen (I got five initial shots before the supplied flint was dulled).
I guess it is a sense of "feel" for the edge, as to preparing the edge to avoid misfires. Otherwise I was very pleased. The "flashbang" was much more instantaneous than I anticipated, and I have always followed through shooting anyway.
Next outing I will set up to check impact at 25 through 75 yards. I am mainly a hunter....and my shots are close (northern woods). I was pleased at the easy clean up...same as my GPR percussion. I am a firm believer in a bucket of hot soapy water. I loved that the take down keys are pinned in place so you dont drop/lose them. I originally didint like the very tight curl on the first trigger, but in use it isnt as annoying. This week end I will get out again.

Awsome report. Glad you are getting along with what amounts to just a WONDERFUL gift. Happy birthday and hope for many more pleasant outtings with your new addiction.

My wife kindly gifted my the above mentioned rifle for my 60th birthday...my first flinter, but I have had a Lyman GPR percussion for twenty years that I am quite proficient with, and have been trying to do my homework. I kept both in 54 caliber for consistency and supply ease.
I happily had the range to myself yesterday, and set up targets at 25 and fifty yards. I was going to start at 50 grains of FFF with the flinter, but my measure started at 70, so I figured I may as well start with my standard load of 80 that I shoot in the percussion. (.530 with a .015 patch). I use Bore butter on the patch, and swab between with Hoppes BP. First shot at 25 was an inch high centered! And it went off! Okay!
I moved out to fifty yards, well, the next three shots grouped at 2:00 four inches out and the same high, so I adjusted the sights over...I very much appreciate the nice set screw on the rear sight...much superior to the stock site on the older Lyman GPR. where with another jimmy or two to the sights I was able to quite quickly get a nicely centered group but still high. Unfortunately, the rear ramp wont go down any further, and most of my hunting is quite close, so the high shots are no good, so dropped the load to 70 grains. That worked to bring it down to about two inches above point of aim.
I got ten shots in and quickly learned alot. Just a bit of taping on the flint to resharpen (I got five initial shots before the supplied flint was dulled).
I guess it is a sense of "feel" for the edge, as to preparing the edge to avoid misfires. Otherwise I was very pleased. The "flashbang" was much more instantaneous than I anticipated, and I have always followed through shooting anyway.
Next outing I will set up to check impact at 25 through 75 yards. I am mainly a hunter....and my shots are close (northern woods). I was pleased at the easy clean up...same as my GPR percussion. I am a firm believer in a bucket of hot soapy water. I loved that the take down keys are pinned in place so you dont drop/lose them. I originally didint like the very tight curl on the first trigger, but in use it isnt as annoying. This week end I will get out again.

The clean up is one of my favorite things about blackpowder. You swab the barrel in warm soapy water for 2 mins. And it’s spackling clean. One time I decided to send patches down my unmentionable until the patches came out truly clean. I never got there. Tried all different cleaners wire brushes etc. Finally gave up and settled on a number of patches.
It’s so satisfying to pull perfectly white drying patches from a clean muzzleloader. And the time investment for perfectly clean is a fraction of the time it takes for the firearm that shall not be named.

This week end I will get it out again. My only annoyance is that I had to drift the rear sight to the left , and the front sight was already drifted significantly to the right to center my shots. As well, I am very particular on sighting, and I am going to have problems dropping the group where I want it. I suppose I could look for a slightly higher front sight but I hate to change out everything so soon.

It sounds like you are doing very well with the new rifle, albeit needing a taller front sight. Congratulations on good shooting and a great birthday present.

Sights are pretty cheap when it comes to being happy with where you hit.

Gotta remember that : devils in the details! When it comes to being estatically happy with your rifle, do the small things that always seem to make the difference.

Great gift from an obviously lovely wife. I've used a GPR flintlock for a number of years and found it accurate and reliable. For what it's worth, I use the Hoppe's BP as a patch lube. It works better than Bore Butter ever did for me. And being able to easily remove the barrel makes cleaning easier and more effective.

Jeff

Back