• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First Outing with T/C Hawken .50

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning to all. There was a break in the rain here Saturday so I went out for my first time shooting a ML. I had make a batch of caps the previous week and secured some Hornady .490 balls and some 3F BP. I set up at 50 yds and and fired a couple rounds off just to get a feel for how it shot and experience the recoil. Than I began experimenting with different charge weights and accuracy. The patch was a Bore-Tec .22cal cleaning patch measured at .010 lubed with Ballistol. I placed a dry patch over the powder charge as the lubed patch was fairly wet. Here is a photo of my last six shots, the last 3 were the 70 grain loads. I swapped the barrel between each shot.
IMG_5588.JPG

Good morning to all. There was a break in the rain here Saturday so I went out for my first time shooting a ML. I had make a batch of caps the previous week and secured some Hornady .490 balls and some 3F BP. I set up at 50 yds and and fired a couple rounds off just to get a feel for how it shot and experience the recoil. Than I began experimenting with different charge weights and accuracy. The patch was a Bore-Tec .22cal cleaning patch measured at .010 lubed with Ballistol. I placed a dry patch over the powder charge as the lubed patch was fairly wet. Here is a photo of my last six shots, the last 3 were the 70 grain loads. I swapped the barrel between each shot.View attachment 190619

Nice shooting for a first outing with an unfamiliar rifle! Now you can start the grand experiment called load development… enjoy it. It’s maybe the best thing about shooting muzzleloaders!

Good morning to all. There was a break in the rain here Saturday so I went out for my first time shooting a ML. I had make a batch of caps the previous week and secured some Hornady .490 balls and some 3F BP. I set up at 50 yds and and fired a couple rounds off just to get a feel for how it shot and experience the recoil. Than I began experimenting with different charge weights and accuracy. The patch was a Bore-Tec .22cal cleaning patch measured at .010 lubed with Ballistol. I placed a dry patch over the powder charge as the lubed patch was fairly wet. Here is a photo of my last six shots, the last 3 were the 70 grain loads. I swapped the barrel between each shot.View attachment 190619
A bit thicker patch and an over powder wad might tighten it up even further. Not bad though!

Latest posts

Back