• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Muzzleloader Deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t know much about those deer, but I think that’s a big one for them isn’t it?

Would love to see some pics of the country you were hunting. Lots of beers there? Is that why it’s spooky at night?

It’s definitely more mature a buck than I usually get.

Pictures don’t really do the place any justice. The trail follows a steep coastal canyon. Once you get to the bottom, you hike beneath the understory of mature bays, oaks (different kinds), madrones and other trees I don’t yet know by name. There’s so little sky above, due to the canyon itself and the large, mature trees, that getting a GPS signal can be tough. I go down solo so, for the sake of my wife & kids, I send a message back each day to let them know I’m okay. At night, in camp, the creek echoes in ways that are hard to explain. But it constantly feels like there are voices of people chattering just out of sight. Beers would certainly be nice. But bears are all over. They’re just black bears but they get zero hunting pressure so they get big—real big. I’ve had mountain lions screaming near camp, too. After a few days of walking out of camp early, some of the animals get less skittish and I can see their eyes reflected in my headlamp just off the trail in the brush. I get the sense that there’s just a lot going on down there and it’s both intriguing and a little unnerving to become a part of it all for a few days.

Back