• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First muzzleloader deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations on a successful hunt and a well told story :applause: . My three girls never wanted to eat anything that used to be cute, LOL. The two boys will eat anything that doesn't eat them first. Keep yer powder dry........robin

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughter loves deer its one of the only things she ever asks for and though she knows exactly where it comes from and she will go touch dead ones she doesn't want to see the wound or inside the body cavity and isn't interested in anything other than cuteness until its in little Ziploc bags lol

Just glad it wasn't out by dads house.... There are real hills there and he's only a little farther south between here and Waverly... Im on the edge where it starts flattening out... Only like 3 miles south of circleville but several miles west... Idk im 2 miles off 104 in the dirextion of 207 so its only a little hilly

Sounds like you are not to far from the dam of Deercreek. If so that is a nice area down there. I am envious, that is flatter than anything I have hunted. Use to hunt over in Tar Hollow some years back, then by New Lexington. Now hunt over by Dresdan at the TriVally Wildlife Area. Danny

Im actually closer to where the deercreek dumps into the scioto but its only 30 mins or so to the damn... I'm real close to circleville just north of Chillicothe where it starts to flatten out pretty good

Thats a cool part of the state. We did a rendezvous in Ashville on the Scioto last year. Was a beatiful spot until the river rose 8 feet on account of all the rain.

Good on ye! :hatsoff: You did good getting out for an hour's light, and had the sense and courage to line your sights on a patch of snow and swing the barrel onto the deer. Well done!

Here in Westsylvania we can carry a handgun while flintlock hunting. ONE 60 pound Eastern coyote can be a vicious encounter. I never go into the woods unarmed.

Richard/Grumpa

We are not supposed to unless we have a ccw and conceal it... I usually do anyways cause im on private land and though one coyote might not bother me I don't know that I ever see only one... If it hadn't been for the snow I would never have got that deer and I wouldn't have been there anyways cause I would've left when I could no longer see my sights... The snow made Saturday hard hunting I just couldn't get in range without being spotted but the tables turned Sunday night and the snow is what made it possible

It can fluctuated a whole lot when they open that dann on the o'shaugnessy resivoir... Probably spelled that wrong :idunno:

Congratulations CapPopper. It certainly feels good to put your first down with muzzle loader.

Thanks for sharing your hunt and pictures as well, that's a good looking doe.

Clickwhoosh

Ive got some pictures of the suprisingle recovered bullet if you guys would be interested in seeing it.... Its about 1/4 as long as big around as a U.S. quarter went through several vertebrae and stop just short of the hide after almost 2 feet of deer.

20171216_231851.jpg

Original minie ball

20180113_192134.jpg

Frontal expansion

20180113_192120.jpg

Side view

Capture_2018-01-14-00-41-22.png

Hole in spine on left side angled back and down

Capture_2018-01-14-00-41-43.png

Hole through ribs into chest cavity line showing trajectory

I have a picture showing trajectory through chest cavity to recovery point in ribs but the site I use for photo hosting is being a pain and won't let me post it to that site right now.... Ill add it as soon as I get it on there

Back