• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First... maybe only flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Ol Gobbler

32 Cal.
Reaction score
OK... I know it a personal preference... what do you plan on hunting(doing) with it kinda question... but I'll ask anyway.
I've been saving up for my first flinter kit, still a bit to go, and am torn between a smooth bore and a rifle. I like the longer range/ accuracy of the rifle but the multipurpose functionality of the smooth bore. As there's no way I can afford both, I have to choose one.
Looking to possibly use it for reenacting, turkey, squirrel and definitely deer.
My primary concern is effective range on the smooth bore. I hunt in Wisconsin, so most shots are well under 100 yards. If I do my part, can I get a smooth bore to hit a pie plate consistently out to 100 yards? The dilemma is range and accuracy for deer(possibly limiting shots to 25-40 yards) vs. hunt turkeys and squirrels.
I've been looking at kits at Sitting Fox, specifically the Early Pennsylvania Transitional Rifle, French Tulle or Penn Smooth Rifle.
Thanks for your help all.

I'd get a smoothbore (20ga) in smoothrifle form with a rear sight. You can also get a standard smoothbore and install a rear sight. That's what I have and it works great.

Id go with the smoothie! Other then rondy shoots, all my hunting is done with either my .58 or .62 smoothies...I just went tree rat hunting this morning....more to just get out then to hunt, but I carried the .58 with a shot load.

Smoothies are way more versatile as you mentioned and for shots under 100 yards will do a good job on most big game. Along with all other small game with a good shot load worked up.

Just my .02!
Ranger

Going by what you want the gun to do I'd say smoothbore too. A smoothy will do the rondys (smoothbore and rifle matches), turkeys and squirrels and the deer too. You might have to limit your range a bit on deer until you get real comfortable with the gun.

I'd go without the rear sight so the gun would be legal in more kinds of matches at rondys.

Do you have a deer rifle now? You could always tote it to the deer woods if you aren't comfortable with the smoothie.

Some folks make a rear sight on a tang screw and just screw in a replacement screw for a non-sight.

Smoothbores are so much fun...a nice long barreled .20ga would fit the bill nicely. I know for a fact smoothbore in the right hands can take deer out to 75 yards. I would think one would be pushing it shooting any further, thats a bit to far in my book. Takes a lot of practice once a load is found at any range...

That kit is probably to much work for most people so you need to be prepared for that.

Good point... because I like rifles for their effective range and don't own a flinter. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of each.

That first finished gun on the site you posted looks pretty good to me.

I had aspirations of building a kit at some point, figuring whatever wasn't quite right was still mine.

After receiving a beautiful completed gun, I've decided I will not do the parts the injustice of me molesting them. Ultimately I think it would be a bargain to have someone in the know build it correctly.

Keep in mind I'm speaking for myself, you may have all the talent required. Good luck.

Thanks for giving me credit I don't deserve :wink:
I was going to pay the extra and have him do the inletting, etc or I might end up with expensive kindling.

Turkey, squirrel and deer all can be served well with a smooth rifle. They stand still. That rear sight will make a big difference past 50 yards.

I like a smoothbore to be light and handy, so I trade distance with round ball and forego the rear sight in exchange for a lighter and faster gun that can smack jinking bunnies and grouse at 25 or 30 yards and still throw a lead punkin 60 yards to drop a whitetail deer. Most of my kills are between 15 and 40 yards.

I really don't have experience with smooth rifles; so I'll yield to those who have owned them. I will say smooth flinters just seem more fun to shoot. At least to me. Always easy to load and clean.

If consistentnly hitting your target is the objective, a rifle is the only answer.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."

I guess you'll figure my response. I like a smoothrifle with both sights in 54cal. Does everything you want, stays relatively light(barrel thickness is your choice) and gets the job done with less powder and lead. :thumbsup:

Big Ol Gobbler said:
Good point... because I like rifles for their effective range and don't own a flinter. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of each.

Not really a 'pros and cons' issue. Strictly a matter of preference. Like comparing pick up trucks to small sports cars. Neither one is 'better', just much different.
Which ever you pick, I guarantee, yer next will be the other. Unlike wimmin, you can have more than one gun to love. :wink:

check you state laws before you decide on a caliber! in WA state a smoothbore must be at least 60 cal to hunt deer (40 cal is the min for rifles).

He is hunting in Wisconsin and as long as it is 45 caliber or larger with a smooth bore he is ok. A 20 ga will work just fine.

If I am properly reading the website, you can get the smooth-rifle "in-the-white" either PA or VA style for $500? I'd JUMP on that, and I'd get it in 15/16 24 gauge (.58) or in 20 gauge as those would probably be the lightest versions.

Based on your personal hunting concerns, and that you already have a rifle, I would say the smoothbore is your best all-around choice.

In fact, because of your thread, now I am considering such a purchase for myself. :haha:

LD

Back