• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First matchlock, from decades ago.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw a film years ago, how a fellow rode his John Deere lawnmower right across the US to visit his brother. So, Anything is possible! (and you'd be most welcome.)

Hi Richard. I don't know about driving a tractor to Canada but remember George Jones drove his lawnmower to the liquor store to buy booze because his wife hid the keys to all the cars. I also heard he stopped and mowed a couple of yards on the way to get beer money. But I can't prove that one.

That was mentioned in the Vince Gill song "One More Last Time". I used to play in a band and one of Georges guitar players used to sit in with us ever once in a while. Heck of a country picker too. He said he was with George in the bus when George accidentally shot his pistol off in the bus. He mentioned "it was loud".

If I ever make up near the far north again I will get in touch with you. Thanks a bunch.

Hi Richard,
That is exactly the kind of work I love to see. Someone fearlessly jumping in and really trying to bring back challenging work from the past. The 16th and 17th centuries are the most fascinating periods in firearms history and the decorative arts used then are rarely seen today. That is a great gun and it looks bang on in every detail. For me, these are so much more fun to build, shoot, and look at than plain guns. I really love the potted flower and vase motif. I used the same motif but mine is of French origin and yours seems Germanic.
oi2lEFM.jpg

Richard, we should conspire and do a matchlock decorated with the art of Hieronymous Bosch. To me, that would be unbelievably fun.
dave

Last edited:
Dave,
A Birthday party calls, but when I get back, I must look up Herr Bosch!

Am so please you like it, but yours is better work!
Hi Richard,
My work is not better. Your matchlock is exactly as it should be for the period. Please do look up Hieronymous Bosch. I think you will enjoy the quest. He was a painter not a gun maker but think of the great inlays that could be made from his work.

dave

Dave,

Thank you for the name, I will look him up! Always an honour when you think something is OK. :)
One that Has to be built, is a short snap-lock with mushroom inlays! I can see it, and it must happen..

Just a thought Dave,. we could Both make one, with your Hieronymous chaps inlays and see how they compare!
This sort of work isn't work. It's basically crude, and such a pleasure to do!
None of that painstaking stuff, like trying to walk in the steps of a top Germanic "building -for -princes -type". This type of building is just a joy. I'm going to look him up now! Thanks!

Edited to add;
Dave! Are you Nuts?!?
That guy had eaten too much ergot in his bread!....or been smoking stuff way before it was invented! He'd been on some Serious trips when he painted some of these. LOL!!
Makes my "Magic Mushroom " lock sound quite sane really.
You Knew you were going to catch me out, Din't you!? LOL!

Rick,

Pleased you like it, even if you have seen it some time ago!

Last edited:
Hi Richard,
I thought you would be amused by Bosch. He certainly had a morbid imagination. I remember as a kid reading a book that had Bosch paintings and having nightmares for a week. I love his rat-faced priests and would love to do a scimshawed bone inlay of one.
dave

That is extremely nice. Thanks for sharing. I think it good that you took a buck with it. I doubt there have been many deer taken by matchlocks in North America in the last couple hundred years.

Well I've seen Pukka's M locks . And am greatly elevated to think it was the Article in Novembers 1995 copy in' Muzzle Loader Magazine ' '.Observations on the more archaic locks' written from a Re enactors angle that brought about his creation . .It was pure fluke that I learned Pukka read and was inspired by the observation ' But the palm for reliability must ever be reserved for the matchlock' a bit poetic of me as its never 100 per cent sure fire . But as one noted' Virtuoso on the concert matchlock' Nigel Johnson who shot for the New Zealand International team observed "A flintlocks got to Make fire ,A matchlocks already Got fire ' His gun was a 44 cal Dixie blank and stocked in old Church roof ( Miro I think the wood was ). and in the style of Pukkas one, Only no where near as nice, The old church roof became a tradition as at least four other M locks mostly snap locks got made of it .Under the barrel is engraved "Build a better matchlock & the world will beat a path to your door" .A similar piece made for a Union rep bore " Matchlock shooters of the World ignite !, You have nothing to loose but your brains !" (Whether he ever read it I've no idea ). One of my own reads 'Finest selected five dollar reject Montana barrel .'A 50 cal same church roof. I added a 54 rifled option & used it hunting . There is a common perception re enforced by writters who have never fired one that the matchlock is cumbersome ungainly and unfit for field shooting . But I made a common lock 12 bore shotgun and it was used to shoot driven clays i e clays that require an over the head snap shot . and shot like a normal ML would for all practical purposes . Albeit you must become adept at dealing with your glowing coal . In the forests Ide keep the match in the right hand that supported the butt end if I expected a shot . Any way not a bad intro for my first post to this forum .
Regards Rudyard

Rudyard,

I'm very pleased to see you here!
Very good. It's a long walk from Kiwiland I Know. :)

Yes gents, it is Rudyadr's fault I ever built a matchlock. Blame him!

I'll leave you to root around and see what you can dig up in the way of interesting old posts, my old pal...

Richard.

Dear Pukka Your quik Ive written another short piece just 5 minets since but better go feed the dogs . Cheers Me That is Rudyard

ARE YOU FELLA'S TRYING TO BRING BACK SOME OF THE glories of the RAJ?
Dutch

Rudyard,

I'm very pleased to see you here!
Very good. It's a long walk from Kiwiland I Know. :)

Yes gents, it is Rudyadr's fault I ever built a matchlock. Blame him!

I'll leave you to root around and see what you can dig up in the way of interesting old posts, my old pal...

Richard.

Not sure how were bringing back the glories of the Raj as none of our guns are of Indian styles . Not that I disparage them .Quite the reverse, I also like Persian & Turkish styles .Any who views them degenerate should try to make a Miguelet .Or a Kurdish /Damascus barrel . Most survive rusted worn & rusty but if in good state they are Brilliant barrels . Regards Rudyard

Here are a barrel or three of the type Rudyard is talking about, Indian and / or Persian .
Both Rudayrd and myself have a few of these sorts of barrels to stock up.

The last photos are internet pictures of three good quality Turkish or maybe Persian barrels....Not mine!
Matc barrel 5  JH.jpg
Matc barrel 4  JH.jpg
Matc barrel 2  JH.jpg
RH ind barrel b  S Cleaned a bit...jpg
RH ind barrel a  siver cleaned.jpg
matchlocks ottoman sdfge 1280.jpg
matchlock ujyh 1200.jpg

Latest posts

Back