• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First matchlock, from decades ago.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
dscn2879_174.jpg
Gents,
below was my first attempt at a matchlock.
Some photos have been floating around for a long time.
I never did get back to taking better ones after we re-sized wrongly and got 'wiggly' lines.
This shows what we didn't know back then!
Rick and some others already know this one, so if you do too, please excuse!
Was inspired by another pommy called Maurice Taylor, to make one, after he wrote how matchlocks were So reliable!
The wood came from a trucker mate, who brought it up as blocking on a load from down in the US.(Still have enough wood for another one.)
Started with the odd inlay and it went from there. 300 and odd inlays, fruits, nuts and animals. LOL Very enjoyable to make it was. Brass wire and bit of silver too.
Some inlays were rough copies of the type we see on English/Dutch and German matchlocks.
Took a while practicing to get to draw the critters as they were drawn in the 16th & 17th centuries. If they looked like Real animals, i'd have got it wrong.
Clam shells from the local river also as inlays. Bone from muskeg is mainly deer and buffalo. Some antler too. The old brown muskeg bones look more correct , but are brittle
and hard to scrimshaw.
Well, here it is. (Did get a mule deer with it that first season. buck.)
DSCN0409.jpg
DSCN0413.jpg
DSCN0414.jpg
dscn2871_131.jpg
DSCN2872.JPG
dscn2875_435.jpg
dscn2876_172.jpg
dscn2877_103.jpg

Pleased you like it gents.

Robin,
The trigger is one thing I got wrong.
Doesn't show in the photos, but I did not know when I made this, (maybe 20 years ago), that the trigger should be hung well up in the stock, so I hung it like a 'regular' trigger with a blade!

The barrel is a Colerain, 20 bore x 36", altered to matchlock and a cannon muzzle soldered over the barrel.
Matchlocks from that time showed a blend of good and crude, and I Know I can do Crude. :)
Metal -work sometimes is very blacksmith, (guards, buttplates and triggers or sear bars.) but barrels are often better, as though parts made by different workmen. Just like later.

Best,
R.

Phenomenal, arguably the BEST handmade build I have ever seen anywhere on these MZL Forums! I’d take that over a custom Gooden Age longrifle anytime!

Truly spectacular! You nailed it ...

Well Gents, I feel all awkward and such now...seeing as you like it so much!

It's an honour that you like it . Thank you.
Rick,
I never took note of my time on the tiny critter inlays and such. It was all just a pleasure to do. I started and didn't have any intention of doing this many, but just kept playing with it! (few here...few there kind of thing)
I'd just do a bit between other farm stuff in the winter. half hour here and there.
Tools for inlaying brass wire were made from old hacksaw blades, heated and bent to a radius, then quenched. Worked V well.
The inlays might be about 1/8 " deep or more the small 'dots ' may be deeper, as a hole was drilled and they were hammered in with some glue. I enjoyed every minute of it, and am pleased you enjoyed it as well!
Flint, Bill, Double, Morb and all,
Must say I am rather awed at your response! Thanks guys!!
This one made of clam shell got missed. Not all got pictures taken yet.

DSCN2341.JPG

I think it is museum quality. and the scrimshaw of the city scene's, I expect to see a KNIGHTS TEMPELER appear.as you can see I rely like it.

I am stunned. What a beautiful piece of art. You do shoot it don't you? I wish I could see that in person and hold it in my hands.

Back