• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First light fisher

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I heard something coming my way from the marsh grass, I was on alert! Then out looped the fisher, still a great sunrise and day in the woods.

Attachments

• 65711D84-F56D-44E0-926A-4173E14841B5.png
    65711D84-F56D-44E0-926A-4173E14841B5.png
    785.3 KB · Views: 288
  • C80A6AB9-3FCC-4565-BFDB-3177C57EC439.jpeg
    C80A6AB9-3FCC-4565-BFDB-3177C57EC439.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 290
  • 9A8D59C8-C47F-4FFB-9F1D-A8A120350762.jpeg
    9A8D59C8-C47F-4FFB-9F1D-A8A120350762.jpeg
    194.8 KB · Views: 260
I saw mine in North mountain while bear hunting. Nasty little creatures!!! They don't do the small game population any favors. They kill just for the pure pleasure of it!
Two Feathers
So you have seen rare Fisher's kill and not eat what they have killed?
Kinda like your neighbors cat(?) just kill something then go home and grab some "meow-mix"?
Interesting concept, darn predators!!

the FISHER CAT , is a bad ass critter. nothing can get away from them, they are excellent tree climbers, very viscious critters.

25 years ago I'd never heard of one. THEN there was a weird burglary where the bad guy had gone through the screen on an open window and took the house cat that was sitting on the window sill..., And I mean through the screen... I thought that was odd that a cat would just sit there, so the cat had to have been snatched up fast....,

There as soft earth below the window and NO human prints but there were odd paw prints, so I got a photo of a print with a quarter coin for scale, and then asked somebody who might know.

"Dude that might be a Fisher", I was told.
"A what? What's a fisher"? I replied
"A big black weasel on steroids, or a micro honey badger... there is a debate on that."
"I've never heard of one. So they'd be down in Silver Spring, Maryland?"
"Nope, not normally, but you never know what animal some idiot will get as a pet, that grows up and they decide they'll turn it lose."

So some more small animals disappeared over time on some hobby farms near to where the cat disappeared. Folks thought it was a fox or two, some said small dog or coyote, but in one instance again, what looked like Fisher tracks. (five toes; the other animals are four toes.) Nobody ever reported catching or killing it but the stuff stopped..., probably moved off.

LD

So you have seen rare Fisher's kill and not eat what they have killed?
Kinda like your neighbors cat(?) just kill something then go home and grab some "meow-mix"?
Interesting concept, darn predators!!
Interesting comparison to cats. I fought with animal control for years over their policy to spay and neuter feral cats amd re-release them. For exactly the behavior mentioned.
The other interesting thing there, is that Fishers are often called Fisher Cats, but, they don't primarily eat fish,,,, but, they will destroy a domestic cat every chance they get. Small teacup size dogs don't stand a chance either.

I once had an interesting encounter with one at a traditional archery event in the area of Lee, Massachusetts while walking the 3-d course. I saw a group of 7 or so shooters gathered in a big circle along one side of the trail. A very young juvenile Fisher was playing in the leaves in the circle. One guy was tossing it pieces of bagged popcorn, the Fisher would hurry to get it then go back to just playing in the leaves. But, every so often it would charge and attack the pant legs of one individual in the group. Only him, everyone else it ignored (except the popcorn). Several times it would just abruptly stop whatever it was doing and charge that one guy.
Maybe it was because the pants he was wearing were that stupid blue and black camo?

Back