• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First knife...modern methods..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coehornboy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I made this patch knife for my Pops (aka Rabbitears) for his birthday/ Christmas.

HPIM3935.jpg

I have a friend with a knife-sanding-belt-machine, and the blade was shaped from D2 tool steel, with the guard welded on. After it was heat treated at a commercial outfit, I spent about three hours total fitting the stag horn, shaping the guard, and polishing the blade (it was fun (ok, addicting), but it's not like working with files and sandpaper...the sanding belt can take off too much material way too fast, and I worked really sloooow).

I had never made a sheath, so I dug up some brass tacks and leather and made a neck sheath of sorts.

HPIM3936.jpg

Merry Christmas, Pops! :v

That patch knife turned out really well! :thumbsup:
He ought to be real proud of that one!
I got to ask, how did you attach the tacks to the sheath?

when I hammered 'em through, I curved them over with needlenose and hammered them into the leather..

Back