• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Kit, Kibler Woodsrunner?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! I am looking to get my first foray into black powder. I was considering a Traditions, then a pecatonica, now considering Kibler. I am not opposed to the extra work needed on a pecatonica but after considering prices I'm looking at like $300-500 more at most when consider Kibler over them. Is that a substantial enough increase in quality for that price?

If I do go with Kibler, is the Woodsrunner(not released yet if I understand correctly) a good choice? I was considering that in fancy maple, .54 cal.

Thanks for any help.

If you have not made a gun, think close to 150 hours to build a Pecatonica kit, if you find a bunch of pre-carve flaws think more time, a lot more, 15 hours or less to finish a Kibler. The Kibler will be very precise, the Pecatonica will only be right if you do a good job.

If you go the Pecatonica route do not, I repeat, do not let them inlet the lock, do it yourself so the inlet will be in the right place. This is a TOW gun kit I bought second hand still in the box.

The P place does their precarves, this lock inlet is just a bit off.

100_4992.JPG

Last edited:
I have a Woodsrunner kit in .54 cal. I just completed it today and will be shooting it on Monday. I was lucky enough to be in the first shipment of this excellent kit. I do not know how to post pictures here. I had an artist friend of mine do the carving on the stock and he stained and finished the stock. He copied the carving on Jim's bench copy of this famous gun. I have no artistic ability at all, so I farmed it out to him. I finished all the metal parts and went with a French gray finish on the barrel and lock. What is nice with this kit is that it is really easy to put together. Mine was in the first 25 and Jim already had them assembled. After that Jim said they will not be assembled. I was lucky and the scribed number on the bottom barrel flat and parts bag and nose cap is #1. That is one reason I wanted the carving to be like that on the original. I have a Colonial in .54 cal and the Woodsrunner is by far a more pleasant gun to carry and point. My Woodsrunner weighs in at 7lb. 3oz. and the Colonial weighs 9lb. 6oz. Big differance in a hunting gun. I would get a Woodsrunner kit over all others right now.

I have a Woodsrunner kit in .54 cal. I just completed it today and will be shooting it on Monday. I was lucky enough to be in the first shipment of this excellent kit. I do not know how to post pictures here. I had an artist friend of mine do the carving on the stock and he stained and finished the stock. He copied the carving on Jim's bench copy of this famous gun. I have no artistic ability at all, so I farmed it out to him. I finished all the metal parts and went with a French gray finish on the barrel and lock. What is nice with this kit is that it is really easy to put together. Mine was in the first 25 and Jim already had them assembled. After that Jim said they will not be assembled. I was lucky and the scribed number on the bottom barrel flat and parts bag and nose cap is #1. That is one reason I wanted the carving to be like that on the original. I have a Colonial in .54 cal and the Woodsrunner is by far a more pleasant gun to carry and point. My Woodsrunner weighs in at 7lb. 3oz. and the Colonial weighs 9lb. 6oz. Big differance in a hunting gun. I would get a Woodsrunner kit over all others right now.
Im sure theres others and I would myself like to see it. I can send you my email via PM and Id post them for you if you wish. Just let me know

That's pretty impressive to have #1!
It's very important to post photos of your creation, lots of photos!

I echo the request for photos! Having no artistic friends I am trying to learn to do simple carving and work up the courage to cit into my Woodsrunner stock. I have number 5 it seems!

Back