• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First kill with my 54 Hawken.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

house

40 Cal.
Reaction score
image_zps1558ce53.jpg
[/URL][/img]
I shot this little spike with my TC Hawken in 54 caliber and 70 grains of FFF with PRB. He was shot at 40 yards and expired after about a 40 yard dash. I shot him on a managed hunt in an urban area where there isn't any point restriction. I saw and passed many larger deer including a 120 class that me buddy shot later yesterday. We were getting ready to head back home this morning when I got this guy to put some meat in the freezer.

Love those black powder deer!

That spike ought to be quite tasty.
I'll shoot a spike just as quick as a bigger deer depending on which shows up first. I quit trophy hunting years ago.

The bodies on these deer were unreal. He was the size of a three year old here just 2 1/2 hour drive SE of where we hunted.

Congrats! :thumbsup: Made meat :hatsoff:

Them Midwest deer get big.

I am packing my stuff right now and heading down to MO on Tuesday to set up deer camp. Hope I can shoot as straight as you did.

Congrats. Its always nice to see big game taken with a blackpowder gun whether it be a sidelock or flintlock. I too have a TC Hawken 54 which I've been meaning to take out for walk, I blackened all the brass on her and spiral burnt the ramrod.

Enjoy the many meals from your deer and best of luck to all those still after thier big game!
:thumbsup:

Good hunting, well done ! I only wish we could do the same here in UK :thumbsup:
Reiver XXV

You can in the UK.. Just not Deer!

I had a Hawken in .54 that was a smooth rifle.. it was an ardesa.. Anyway used to shoot rabbits with it 70 grains of BP and a generous scoop of AAA shot i found to be pretty lethal out to about 35 yards. For using shot in something that small bored i found i had to use quite large shot to deliver enough energy to the target.

edit to add - Nice shooting on the deer!

Back