• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First horn completed!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnlonghunter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I finally finished my first powder horn, after starting it over two years ago. I used the Sibley's book as my guide, which was great. I didn't exactly do everything by the book, and I didn't intend it to be exactly representative of a specific time period or location. It's more of a personal fantasy type thing, based on pics of lots of horns y'all have made, or that I've seen elsewhere.

The butt plug is burled walnut, obviously with a knot left in it. An iron staple in the top of the plug holds the rear strap, and the current spout plug is an oak dowel with an antler tip. I actually don't like the stopper and will replace it, but at least it works. There's still a little paste wax in the cracks and worm holes in the plug, but I dunked it in tung oil a couple of times and then applied 5-6 more hand rubbed coats of oil. It should hold up pretty well.

The scrimshaw in it is a map of the 100 acre farm in Tennessee that my family has. It's where I killed my first deer, learned to shoot blackpowder, and is probably my favorite place on earth. It's got the creeks, the big creek (Wolf Creek), roads and such. I might add some trees later to indicate forests and ridges vs. field and valleys.

The wording is my name with two different family mottos. The first motto Virtutis Gloria Merces (Glory is the Reward of Valor) is the motto for the Scottish Robertson clan, which is my Mother's maiden name and where I get my first name. That's why it's sitting atop my first name. The second phrase, below "Parker" is the motto of the Parker family. I like the symmetry of putting each motto near its appropriate family name (or derivative, as the case may be).

Finally, I also included a couple pics of the priming flask I made last year. It's white-tail antler. I liked the size and shape, because it felt right in the hand. However, I couldn't drill the whole way around the curve. So I cut off the back end enough to hollow out the two sides, made a "washer" out of a piece of walnut, and glued it back together. I'm not sure how much it'll hold, maybe 75-80 grains of 4f.

What do you y'all think?
1stpowderhorn018.jpg

1stpowderhorn015.jpg

1stpowderhorn001.jpg

1stpowderhorn009.jpg

1stpowderhorn010.jpg

1stpowderhorn007.jpg

1stpowderhorn012.jpg

1stpowderhorn005.jpg

1stpowderhorn014.jpg

You done good! :thumbsup:
A personal horn made for you, something that you can be proud to wear.
Scott

Excellent job, i hope my 2nd attempt turns out as good as your 1st.... :bow:

I like that knot, it really adds character to the horn and after ya put in the trees n such it is gonna really shine. Way better then my first attempt, powder measure is a neat idea too.I would be Proud to carry it. I like the idea of the mottos going with the names,great idea.

Thanks folks. I've been really interested in the family history thing for a while now. I found it particularly fitting when I learned several years ago that a "Parker" was essentially a forest ranger and gamekeeper for the nobility's parks and hunting grounds. Rather fits given how much I love being outdoors.

The Scottish interest came a few years later after I visited Scotland for the first time. I don't re-enact at the moment, but if I ever do I'll probably try to work some Scottish theme into the persona.

Very nice!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
It will serve you well.
Dusty :wink:

Great job!:applause::bow: When making something for yourself,
the only person you need to please
is yourself.IMO
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

Back