• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First handmade hunting pouch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston123

40 Cal
Reaction score
20210301_164439.jpg

So, it has been several years since I earned my Leatherworking Merit Badge at Scout camp, but I wanted to try my hand at making a hunting/shooting pouch for my trade-gun stuff. Asides from a few hiccups (like forgetting that 90 degree square corners dont want to come out flat when inverted), it came together quickly.

The leather is from Michaels, a craft-store, as was the dye I colored it with, the tools I prepped it with and the waxed thread I sewed it up with. The oil/grease I rubbed onto the outside is handmade, from 50% melted beeswax and 50% canola oil.

The bag itself is about 7 inches by 6 inches. No gusset, but I did shove a block of beeswax into the bag after soaking it to get it to stretch out some, so it can open to about an inch deep.
20210301_164523.jpg

Here is one of the little leather "swivels" i made to attach the strap. I ended up taking the strap off my powderhorn, which came from Track of the Wolf, but I didnt want to permanently attach that strap to the bag in case I came across a different one in the future I liked better (likewise, didnt want to attach the powderhorn permanently to the leather belt, so that is just tied on as well). So, the strap is just looped through the swivels and tied in place with tautline hitches

View attachment 66672
So, it has been several years since I earned my Leatherworking Merit Badge at Scout camp, but I wanted to try my hand at making a hunting/shooting pouch for my trade-gun stuff. Asides from a few hiccups (like forgetting that 90 degree square corners dont want to come out flat when inverted), it came together quickly.

The leather is from Michaels, a craft-store, as was the dye I colored it with, the tools I prepped it with and the waxed thread I sewed it up with. The oil/grease I rubbed onto the outside is handmade, from 50% melted beeswax and 50% canola oil.

The bag itself is about 7 inches by 6 inches. No gusset, but I did shove a block of beeswax into the bag after soaking it to get it to stretch out some, so it can open to about an inch deep.
View attachment 66673
Here is one of the little leather "swivels" i made to attach the strap. I ended up taking the strap off my powderhorn, which came from Track of the Wolf, but I didnt want to permanently attach that strap to the bag in case I came across a different one in the future I liked better (likewise, didnt want to attach the powderhorn permanently to the leather belt, so that is just tied on as well). So, the strap is just looped through the swivels and tied in place with tautline hitches
very nice, perfect size for a day hunt with small cal. rifle..... :thumb:

Latest posts

Back