• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whebert

32 Cal
Reaction score
I think I'm ready to move on to a flintlock, and am looking for suggestions on the first one. Probably a pistol (mainly because I don't really have much more long-gun space in the safe!), but I'm open to being talked out of that. A little about me: I own dozens of modern guns, and have a fair amount of shooting experience. I have a modern centerfire muzzleloader, and a Pietta revolver. I'm somewhat handy, and I'd say I have a moderate tolerance for "tinkering." I realize tinkering comes with the territory, but I'd rather not have to deal with it too much for the first one if I can avoid it.

How is the Pedersoli stuff? It's inexpensive, and seems to be fairly readily available. Pretty much all of their flint handguns are appealing to me. Is there a reason to choose one over the other? The Queen Anne and the Harpers Ferry are my top choices, I guess, based mostly on aesthetics. Are they appropriate for a beginner? How are the kit versions? Again, I'm willing to tinker a bit, but I do want to end up with something shootable in a reasonable amount of time. Are they at all historically accurate? I'm assuming they're really "inspired by" as opposed to "a replica of," but I don't know that for a fact.

I have a Ped'i Kentucky pistol and I think the fit and finish are top notch. Some have mechanical issues but nothing that can't be solved. Mine came with an estimated 14 lb trigger pull. A little work got it to about a livable 6. Also mine is supposed to be .50 cal. I had to go to a .480 RB to get it down the barrel. I will be watching what others who have the guns you mentioned comment on them. Also, I would define your pistol shooting priority to get the best fit for your needs.
I think that's the first time I've seen anyone describe Pedersolis as "inexpensive" 😂

If you're not opposed to tinkering, get a kit. I handled a few new Pedersoli's Hawken/Mountain rifles recently. Not at all impressed.

The blued barrels look like they were fresh off the surface grinder. The stocks had 90 degree corners that you could almost cut yourself on. Wood to metal fit iffy. The "Walnut" stocks were beyond lifeless. I think they put brown coloring in their top coat and spray it on.

Pedersoli is not a cheap avenue to go down. And for the coin people pony up for their products, I'd expect much better quality. I'd build Traditions kits to my standards before I spent a penny on a Pedersoli.

I guess maybe I don't have a feel for what "inexpensive" means in this world. The Traditions guns are cheaper, although they appear to be all sold out at the moment (like everything else...). I guess what I should have said was: I'm willing to pay Pedersoli prices, although based on 64Springer's comments, maybe I don't want to.

I think I'm ready to move on to a flintlock, and am looking for suggestions on the first one. Probably a pistol (mainly because I don't really have much more long-gun space in the safe!), but I'm open to being talked out of that. A little about me: I own dozens of modern guns, and have a fair amount of shooting experience. I have a modern centerfire muzzleloader, and a Pietta revolver. I'm somewhat handy, and I'd say I have a moderate tolerance for "tinkering." I realize tinkering comes with the territory, but I'd rather not have to deal with it too much for the first one if I can avoid it.

How is the Pedersoli stuff? It's inexpensive, and seems to be fairly readily available. Pretty much all of their flint handguns are appealing to me. Is there a reason to choose one over the other? The Queen Anne and the Harpers Ferry are my top choices, I guess, based mostly on aesthetics. Are they appropriate for a beginner? How are the kit versions? Again, I'm willing to tinker a bit, but I do want to end up with something shootable in a reasonable amount of time. Are they at all historically accurate? I'm assuming they're really "inspired by" as opposed to "a replica of," but I don't know that for a fact.
Flintlock is another ball game! If you know flintlocks they will treat you like other guns. Since you don't have the expericnce and posted (in red) don't get one.
Larry

there is only one way to learn about flintlocks quirks. use one. if you can borrow one from someone to learn if you have the temperament to stick with rocklocks so much the better. even so each is its own set of demands. no other reason that caplocks caught on.
a flintlock is a thinking and contemplating mans system. but so are women and flintlocks are almost as rewarding.

Naw!

Watch here in the classifieds as flintlock pistols show for decent prices. I would not be afraid of a CVA or Traditions if it has a decent sparking frizzen. They won’t be as refined as some others but won’t cost you half a grand either. Even some better quality ones show up for less than a new kit.

I have both the Pedersoli Harper's Ferry and the Queen Anne. Both are good and excellent for beginners (as I was, when I got them). I built the HF from a kit, which was a very rewarding experience.

Back